VMware Communities
dutsnekcirf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to successfully import an OVF into VMware Workstation 12.5.5 that was exported from VMware Fusion.

My coworker has just exported a Linux VM that was running within VMware Fusion (don't know the version) on his Macbook Pro for me to import into my VMware Workstation 12.5.5 running Windows 10. When I attempt to import it I get the message that the import failed because it does not pass OVF specification.  It says I can click retry to relax OVF specification and virtual hardware compliance checks and try the import again.  So when I click Retry it appears to successfully import the VM.  It actually appears as an available VM to bootup.  When I boot it up, it completes the POST but gives the message "Operating System not found.".  This VM definitely has an OS and it's virtual hard disk (vmdk) is close to 70 GB in size so it's not a fresh, empty VM.

I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that when it relaxes the OVF specification and virtual hardware compliance checks it breaks the VM.  But I don't know how to fix it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Since you are sharing between VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation you don't have to go through the process of exporting/importing through OVF.

The Fusion VM bundle can be copied into VMware Workstation. A VMware Fusion bundle will appear to have a folder with an extension of .vmwarevm but you can rename it as you wish and also change the Hardware Compatibility accordingly if the Fusion is version 7 or earlier.

The VM has to be shut down/powered off, not suspended before the copy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Since you are sharing between VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation you don't have to go through the process of exporting/importing through OVF.

The Fusion VM bundle can be copied into VMware Workstation. A VMware Fusion bundle will appear to have a folder with an extension of .vmwarevm but you can rename it as you wish and also change the Hardware Compatibility accordingly if the Fusion is version 7 or earlier.

The VM has to be shut down/powered off, not suspended before the copy.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OVF import/export once was a nice idea - but then the parties involved with it failed to set universal standards.
So dont be surprised if an import fails.
Your best option is to follow the advice from bluefirestorm.
If that is no option untar the OVF/OVA file you have and assemble the VM manually.

0 Kudos
dutsnekcirf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked great bluefirestorm.  Thank you very much.  I didn't realize that I could just copy the entire *.vmwarevm over.  It didn't look like a directory on the macbook pro.  Apple pulled a fast one on me.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos