VMware Communities
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to submit bugs if support is expired? [or: Bug: VMware Workstation resets customization settings when selecting .iso]

Today I encountered a bug in VMware Workstation 6.5.1 and wanted to submit a bugreport - but my support is expired (no problem there because I don't want support but only tell VMware that there's a bug ;). Is it possible to submit bugreports without support?

The bug itself:

1. Create a new Virtual Machine

2. Custom (Advanced), Next

3. Workstation 6.5, Next

4. I will install the operating system later, next <- That's important

5. Select any OS (e.g. WinXP Pro), Next

6. Next, Next

7. Memory: select a value different than the recommended value (e.g. 2048 MB), Next <- That's important

8. Next, Next, Next, Next

9. Hard disk size: select a value different than the recommended value (e.g. 50 GB), Next <- That's important

10. Next

11. Click Customize Hardware, Select the CD-Drive and select an iso (e.g. win2k8) and click save <- That's important

At this point my settings for RAM and DISKSIZE are reseted to the default values for the select iso file (in the case above that's 1024MB ram and 24GB hd).

fejf

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, but where did you find the link to the customer feedback form? I don't see it on the support site ?!

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For unknown reasons it isn't on the support site and I can't remember where I got it from.

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting VMware. We appreciate your feedback about

our products.

This email alias is no longer monitored.

If you feel you have found a defect in a VMware product and you have

an active support agreement with us, you should report that to VMware

Support via the normal Support Request process.

If you do not have an active support agreement and you want to alert

us to a problem, file your request at

http://www.vmware.com/support/support_feedback.html

Unless additional information is needed, you will not receive a

personal response.

Thank you!

The VMware Team.

So the webform submits the bug reports to an email address which is no longer monitored and tells me to use the webform I used 😛

VMware now changed this and redirects this site to the normal support page. That means they fixed the bug with the support form but also removed any way to submit bug reports for the free products like VMware Server/vCenter Converter/... Basically this means I'm back to square 1 where I want to submit a bug report (not a feature request) and don't have any possibility...

EDIT:

I called the local VMware support and they told me that there's no option for submitting bug reports for free products and that the only way is to write a entry in the vmware communities Smiley Wink

--

0 Kudos
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The forums are read by product engineering, so for any suspected bug you can open a thread here.

I tried to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided, but I couldn't reproduce it on a recent build.

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is 6.5.1 a "recent build" or do you mean an internal build and the bug exists in 6.5.1 and will be fixed? Did you use the Windoze or Linux version of VMware Workstation?

--

0 Kudos
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

On Windows, 126130 (the public 6.5.1).

0 Kudos