VMware Communities
KeithMorrell
Contributor
Contributor

How to start, stop or resume a "set" of VM's, and a suspend bug...

Workstation 16 on Windows 10: I'd like to be able to right-click a set (folder) of VM's and "resume" them or "suspend" them - typically I have 10-16 VM's I want resumed and it's painful having to resume each one individually.

Also of note, as that often, when I close WS16 and select "suspend" as an option, WS16 will hang (forever) after a few VM's and need the main app force closed, leaving some VM's crash stopped (this has caused some VM's to be made unusable on a few occasions). Happened in WS15 as well (suspendind said 10-15 VM's)(

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd like to be able to right-click a set (folder) of VM's and "resume" them or "suspend" them - typically I have 10-16 VM's I want resumed and it's painful having to resume each one individually.

You're looking at script writing for this, using something like the vmware or vmrun commands, or the REST API.

When I close WS16 and select "suspend" as an option, WS16 will hang (forever) after a few VM's and need the main app force closed, leaving some VM's crash stopped (this has caused some VM's to be made unusable on a few occasions). Happened in WS15 as well (suspendind said 10-15 VM's)

You're asking Workstation to write all the memory of all the VMs to disk at once, and you would be asking Workstation to read all of that data back into memory if you did a bulk resume.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos