VMware Communities
adkmom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to start existing VM after a windows reinstall?

Hi all~

My existing VM's are located in a folder- separate partition- from the one housing my main OS (removed XP & installed Vista). I attempt to open them and get:

"Cannot open/create log file 'H:\My Virtual Machines\Windows 98\vmware.log': Access is denied

Unable to open log file "H:\My Virtual Machines\Windows 98\vmware.log". Check your configuration to make sure that the path specified for the log file is valid, and that you have write privileges in this directory.

The current log file is still 'C:\Users\Tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-Tracy\vmware-Tracy-4020.log'."

Do I need to just delete them and start over? Or edit a file? I've only dabbled in VMware, in the past, so any help is great...I'm using WS6, on Vista- running a few Linux and Win98SE.

Thanks!

Tracy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sounds like the files are marked read only, right click the files/directory your vm is in, check they arent read only, and if they aren check the ntfs permissions (assuming its windows)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sounds like the files are marked read only, right click the files/directory your vm is in, check they arent read only, and if they aren check the ntfs permissions (assuming its windows)

0 Kudos
adkmom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Liz,

That did it. I had already thought of the permissions and had full control for both my user and admin acct- I didn't even think of the "read-only" bit...

Thanks again,

Tracy

0 Kudos