VMware Communities
jakoh77
Contributor
Contributor

How to split vdmk files into smaller files upon VM creation

Hello,

Is it possible to configure the file size of the vmdk files when creating a new VM. When I created a VM, it split the vmdk files into 4gb or less partitions. For our file share, we need it to be 2gb or less. I was able to use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone program to split the files after creation. However I would like to be able to make them smaller from the start to avoid this second step.

Is there a way to choose the file size of the vmdk files when creating a new VM from Workstation 15?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

The only options regarding the wizard vmdk are these:

pastedImage_1.png

https://masteringvmware.com/how-to-create-virtual-machine-in-vmware-workstation/

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You cannot dictate the split disk file sizes.

Since VMware Workstation 11 the smallest slice sizes have gone up from 2GB to 4GB.

Beyond that, the split disk size depends on the size of the virtual disk itself.

The calculation goes as follows:

Capacity                    Extent size

================================

<=128GB                  4GB (increased from 2GB)

>128GB && <2TB     Capacity / 32 (so maximum of 32 extents)

>=2TB                      2TB

Are you sure your file shares do not support 4GB? It's a bit weird to have a network share with those limitations nowadays.

edit: I guess you can go back to the smaller 2GB max. disk slice size by changing the virtual hardware of your VM to be compatible with VMware Workstation before Workstation 11 (eg. compatible with Workstation 10 or earlier)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To create a vmdk that is split into 2gb slices you need to use the multiple-expand approach.

vmware-vdiskmanager -c -a ide -s 670Mb -t 1 cd-slices-disk.vmdk
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 1340Mb cd-slices-disk.vmdk
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 2010Mb cd-slices-disk.vmdk
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 2680Mb cd-slices-disk.vmdk
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 3350Mb cd-slices-disk.vmdk
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 4020Mb cd-slices-disk.vmdk
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 4690Mb cd-slices-disk.vmdk

The example above would create a vmdk with CD-size slices.

If you want 2gb slices create a vmdk with 2gb.

Then expand it to 4gb.

Then expand it to 6gb and so on.

Most convenient way to do that is to write a batch for vmware-vdiskmanager.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure whether this works, but maybe worth a try.

Download an older version of vmware-vdiskmanager (e.g. from the Attachments in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1023856), create the VM's virtual disk with the desired 2GB format up front, and attach it to the new VM instead of creating a new one.

André

0 Kudos