VMware Communities
aussieboykie
Contributor
Contributor

How to show snapshot children in snapshot manager?

I'm running the latest version of WS - 7.1.2. I have several linear snapshots and a couple of child snapshots hanging off a parent snapshot. How do I get the snapshot manager to show me the tree? All I see is the parent with a lock icon. The children exist but are not shown.

Regards, John M

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

John,

The Snapshot Manager relies on the vmsd file rather than the chaining informations in the vmdk's. If there's nothing displayed in the Snapshot Manager, then most likely the vmsd file is corrupted. If this is the case and you don't have a backup of this file, you have to rebuild it. Either by creating a dummy VM with the same snapshot structure and then copying the vmsd over to your VM (you will have to rename the file and replace the vmdk names in the file) or by extracting the chaining informations from the vmdk files and rebuilding the vmsd file from the extracted CID informations. (see http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk-tools.html for a description of dsfo.exe)

André

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

André, John,

A snapshot with a lock icon indicates that this snapshot was used to create a linked cloned VM. I'm not very used to this feature but could the missing snapshot be attached to the cloned VM and not the original one? So it doesn't appear in the snapshot tree of the parent's VM.

Sorry for this beginner's question.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you please post a screenshot of snapshotmanager and the vmsd-file ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Franck,

there's absolutely no need to apologize. You are correct. I missed the "lock icon" in the original post.

Snapshots only show up in the VM where they were taken. So in case they were taken in a cloned VM, they will not show up in the parent VM.

@John:

In case you created multiple linked clones from the parent VM, you can easily find out what the clones are by taking a look at the vmsd file. It should have entries like:

snapshot0.clone0 = "D:\VMware\Clone of Windows 7 (2)\Clone of Windows 7 (2).vmx"

snapshot0.clone1 = "D:\VMware\Clone of Windows 7\Clone of Windows 7.vmx"

snapshot0.numClones = "2"

André

0 Kudos
aussieboykie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the helpful responses. I appear to have confused myself with snapshots vs clones.

Regards, John M

0 Kudos