VMware Communities
CNatka
Contributor
Contributor

How to repair the corrupted .vmx file.

Hi all,

I am using VMware® Workstation, Version : 7.1.4 build-385536.

Due some problem on my main machine my main machine get restarted, at that time I was logged on a virtual machine Xp 32 bit sp3. I had some very critical files there on the current state. After the restart the Image get corrupted and I couldn't use the image.

The .vmx file got corrupted and it's size become 0 kb. I openend the .vmx file using notepad ++ and there was no content.

Can anyone please help me so that i can repair the vmx file and get my unfinished work back.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Archive (compress) the vmware.log files (usually four of them) and then attach the .zip file to a reply post and I'll create a new one for you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Community member continuum provides a tool which is able to recreate the .vmx file from the latest vmware.log. Please check whether this helps.

http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1116

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
CNatka
Contributor
Contributor

What impact can it put on my system if I use a virus infected tool to create the .vmx file.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well that all depends on how the program is coded.  The point is if any AV program reports a virus, even if false positive, I'm not about to run an executable from an unknown/uncertified source.

If you want to run the log2vmx.exe fine, if not then archive and attach the vmware.log files and an new properly named .vmx file will be created from the .log files and attached to a reply.  If you choose to use log2vmx.exe you'll also have to properly rename the file it creates.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I am the author of this tool.

The tool is a very simple autoit code - I do not have any idea why some Antivirus-tools flag everything compiled with Autoit as a virus or trojan.

I attach the source code so that you can compile it yourself - if you like.

If I remember right the version that Andre linked to is outdated - the new one attached also works with Fusion 4 and ESXi 5.

Anyway - extracting the vmx-information from a log file is trivial - it just requires some manual work - see my howto
http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk-howtos.html#restorevmx

0 Kudos