VMware Communities
PeterAndersen
Contributor
Contributor

How to remove vmnet1 and 8 from script

Hi

I am using vmware workstation 6 on a windows xp sp2 laptop.

If my machine is booted with vmnet1 and vmnet8 present i can not use my wireless (some security setting that i cannot alter (work machine)). If i remove the virtual nets, reboot the wireless work just fine - i can then add the virtual nets again from the "virtual Network Editor" and i can get both host and guest on the net over the wireless connection.

I will like to make the adding and removing of virtual nets into scripts, but have not found any command line tools to do that.

Is this possible and how?

Thanks

/Peter

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Don't know if that fits your need ...

I use devcon.exe - commandline devicemanager-tool

to disable vmnet1 devcon.exe disable @root\vmware\0000 to disable vmnet8 devcon.exe disable @root\vmware\0001

to enable vmnet1 devcon.exe enable @root\vmware\0000 to enable vmnet8 devcon.exe enable @root\vmware\0001

KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Peter,

If you are using Bridged networking for your virtual machine you can just leave them removed. (vmnet1 & vmnet8)

Since that are only used for virtual machines configured for "Host-Only" or "NAT" virtual networking.

PeterAndersen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kevin - thank you for the replay.

If i remove vmnet1 and vmnet8 i can the guest is on the net if it is configured to NAT network, but the host can not see the guest. Configured to bridged the guest have no network.

/Peter

0 Kudos
PeterAndersen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi continuum

Thank you for you replay - look like the tool can be used some of the way

The problem is that a disable of the vmnet1 and vmnet8 will enable the wireless connection, this again will automatic enable vmnet1 and vmnet8 again which again disable the wireless ;-(

devcon remove @root\vmware\0000

devcon remove @root\vmware\0001

Remove all that i need, have to look into if I can use "devcon install" to create them again. Remember it thay are created after wireless is up and running every thing work just fine.

/Peter

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I do not fully understand your needs - anyway - maybe you can use vnetlib.exe for what you want.

Search for posts from DaveP and me - we discussed the commands some time ago.

Here is something related

http://sanbarrow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=499

0 Kudos
PeterAndersen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Tanks again - I will look into you suggestion.

To clear out what my problem is:

When vmware is installed and the vmnet1 and vmnet8 is present I cannot use my wireless network on my laptop. If the vmnet's are removed when the laptop is booted the wireless work fine.

It is a security property in the wireless network that disable it when a lan is present, vmnet1 and 8 are viewed as such a lan.

I can use the "manage virtual networks" utility to remove and create vmnet1 and 8 - i will like to automate this before and after the vmware workstation is started/stopped.

Hope this explain my problem

/Peter

0 Kudos