VMware Communities
sgolux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to remove all network throttling?

Using Workstation 11, on a host Windows 8.1, with two guest Windows 8.1 machines.

Both guests are using NAT for networking.

My network provider claims to be providing me with 50M down and 10M up.  On my host, depending on how I measure, I seem to be able to consistently get between 40 and 45 M down and (oddly enough) between 9 and 12 M up.

On both my guests, get between 8 and 11 M up, which seems fine.

However, also on both my guests, I get between 23 and 27 M down, even if only one guest is open, and even if I take great pains to ensure that the host itself is using no bandwidth.

This would imply to me that there is some kind of throttling going on.

However, if I go to VM->Settings->NetworkAdapter->Advanced, the dialog shows that both incoming transfer and outgoing transfer are unlimited.  To me there is nothing odd about some overhead going into the NAT translation, but a third of my network throughput eaten up for this seems a bit excessive...

Any insights out there?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdshapiro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try to set power management to "high performance" and retry the speedtest. I found speedtest in VMs are sensitive to processor power management state.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kdshapiro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try to set power management to "high performance" and retry the speedtest. I found speedtest in VMs are sensitive to processor power management state.

0 Kudos
sgolux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wouldn't have thought it, but this seemed to do the trick.  Both guest machines were set to a power performance profile called "High Performance", but I went through the Advanced Settings on both systems and maxed out every single setting, and voila, I have the same throughput in my guests that I have in my host.  I was skeptical, but you were correct!

0 Kudos