VMware Communities
Pickwick81
Contributor
Contributor

How to put all VM-specific logs and snapshots into individual directories?

VirtualBox uses the directories "Logs" and "Snapshots" to store corresponding content and I like that approach pretty much. Instead, VMware stores multiple logs with their rotated files in the root directory of the VM directory by default, which decreases readability in my opinion. I've already found the setting "log." for the VMX file, but that doesn't seem to cover all log files created by VMware these days. Instead, I have the following in my directory:

• mksSandbox.log
  • vmware.log
  • vprintproxy.log

As the mentioned setting requires a concrete file name, it seems one can only move "vmware.log". Simply configuring a directory doesn't seem to work as well.

So, is there a way to make VMware use a customly configured directory for logs and snapshots?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Pickwick81
Contributor
Contributor

Not an answer, but there's the setting workingDir influencing where files for snapshots get created: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002929 Though, doesn't influence snapshots ONLY, so not the solution I'm searching for.

mksSandbox.log.fileName doesn't work, neither any other combination I tried: mksSandbox.logFileName, mks.log.fileName strings doesn't reveal too much around those keywords as well. It seems that file simply can't be moved currently, maybe it's hard-coded.

0 Kudos