VMware Communities
bla11
Contributor
Contributor

How to open existing process of virtual machine in VMWare (Ubuntu 14.04)?

I'm working a lot with VMware virtual machines on Ubuntu 14.04 and sometimes VMWare "forgot" for some virtual machine. It often appears when VMWare freezes up for a few second.

Link to screenshot http://i.imgur.com/uSeLyUc.png

Such machine cannot be booted up until kill it's process. When VM is used for some long-running tests it's not OK. So, is there any way how to open this process in VMWare workstation?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Showdown the VM.  If  that  is a    problem you  could consider logging out and back in (to kill the VMware   p[process).  Then if there  are and   files or folders   with a .lck extension delete them.  This procedure has  worked for me in the past when I  receive the  error message in   you attached png file

0 Kudos
bla11
Contributor
Contributor

As I have said killing the process is a bad idea. This VM is using for long-running tests and dirty OS shutdown is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The Workstation GUI runs in a process named "vmware" or "vmware.exe"
The VMs run in a separate process named "vmware-vmx" or "vmware-vmx.exe"

Killing a process "vmware-vmx" shuts down the associated VM hard - you dont want this.
Killing the process "vmware" only kills the GUI without stopping the VMs.

So in your case you can kill the "vmware" process and then restart it. Sometimes that does not work flawless and you have to take over ownership of the running vmware-vmx processes.

It is also a good idea to avoid using the WS-GUI to work inside VMs. For Windows VMs use RDP instead.

0 Kudos