VMware Communities
ahmd9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to mute sound from one VM on a host only?

Hi everyone:

I am using VMWare Workstation 15 on a Windows 10 host. I let my friend use one of the VMs in it, running Windows 10 as well, to connect to it remotely. The issue is that I hear every sound on the host what's going on in that specific VM.

So I'm wondering, can I mute that specific VM on the host only and but let the person connecting to that VM keep the sound on?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I don't know if addresses your issue but have you tried muting the VMware Workstation VMX instance of the VM that is running and mute if from the volume mixer?

Go to the speaker icon in the task bar and right click and then "Open Volume mixer". Each VM instance would have its own and mute them individually. Don't know if this will mute the remote VM.

0 Kudos
ahmd9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, that's one solution. Thanks. I'm not sure if Windows sound mixer will remember that setting though if I reboot.

I was able to sort-of resolve it by switching the sound card for the VM to the on-board one (on the motherboard) that I wasn't using. But that wouldn't be ideal if I had only one sound card. With more than one, I can go to VM -> Settings -> Sound Card and pick "Specify host sound card" from the drop-down list - or use the one that's not used.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

Why don't you remove the sound card from the VM completely if you don't want it producing sounds?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@ender_ wrote:

Why don't you remove the sound card from the VM completely if you don't want it producing sounds?

Because, as OP said in the initial question, they want the end user to receive sounds/audio at their remote spot.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

If the remote connection is through RDP, the presence of sound card in the VM doesn't matter.

0 Kudos