VMware Communities
ravimodi
Contributor
Contributor

How to mount USB Multi-Card Reader in VMWARE Red Hat Linux Client.

Hi All,

I am using VMWARE Workstation 6.0.4 running under win-xp host & running Red Hat Enterprise Linux V 4.0 as client.

I have connected Sony USB Multi Card Reader & using CF Card. I want to mount CF Card under Red Hat Linux but am unable to see the device ?

I have enabled the USB Controller in VMWARE Virtual Machine settings & also installed VMWARE Tools. I am able to see the CF Card in Win-XP but not able

to mount in Linux. I am new to linux so can any one guide me how to mount & access the files in CF Card ?

Note : The CF card contains linux ex2 partitions hence I am unable to view the files under XP , otherwise I could have used the Shared Folders option.

Thanks

Ravi Modi.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You'll probably want to pass the card reader through to the guest. To do this, select the VM menu->Removable Devices->Sony card reader->Connect (Disconnect from Host). Then you'll need to mount the card in Linux, almost all recent distros will do this automatically when the card is inserted, but some will need some coaxing.

The standard command to mount any partition device will be:

mount (block device) (mount point)

The block device will normally be something like /dev/sdb1, but the actual name of the device will depend on hard drive configuration. You can check the contents of dmesg to be sure. Most multi card readers present a block device for each slot they have (they'll look like /dev/sdb without a number). You will of course need to be root to do that.

See "man mount" for full details on the mount command.

0 Kudos