VMware Communities
distbadster
Contributor
Contributor

How to intall VMWare on Windows 2K with low disc space on drive C?

Hello!

Can you please tell me how I can install VMWare if drive C has only 80 MB of free disc space? Unfortunatelly there is no possibility to empty some more disk space. There is a lot of free space on other drives but if I start the installation I get the error:

"There is not enough free disk space for setup to proceed. To continue, free 547 MB of disk space and click Retry. Otherwise, click Cancel to abort setup".

That would be great if there are any options to start installation using space from other drives, not from C only.

P.S.The installation file is not on the C disk.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try setting the TEMP variable to point to a folder on a different disk.

Right-click My Computer..Properties... Advanced...Environmental Variables.. Change TMP and TEMP to point someplace else. Try re-running the install. It should allow you to install to a different disk.

Running your system with such little free space isn't good FWIW.

mike

mike

distbadster
Contributor
Contributor

Mike, thank you very much! That helped me!! God bless you

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My pleasure.. Enjoy.

mike

0 Kudos
alandsidel
Contributor
Contributor

Found this post through google and I'm having this same issue basically on XP, but I have more than enough space free, and changing the environment vars didn't help any. Free space by local drive:

c: 662MB

d: 167MB

e: 116GB

c: is the os and critical programs only, d: is where the swapfile lives and was also the temp/tmp dir until trying this install, e: is where I actually install programs.

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're getting the "not enough space" error?

Please open a Command Prompt window and type SET and tell us what the TEMP or TMP variables are set to.

FWIW, if all of your virtual drives are on one physical drive, then separating swap and programs isn't going to buy you anything.

mike

mike

0 Kudos
alandsidel
Contributor
Contributor

TEMP=e:\temp\

TMP=e:\temp\

Thanks for the pointer on swap space, the drives are in fact physically distinct. C is a SCSI RAID-5, D is a single disk, E is a SCSI RAID-0.

Message was edited by: alandsidel

edited: fixed typo. both point to e:\temp\, which does exist, and is empty.

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Weird... Try starting the install and monitoring e:\temp to see if the files are expanded into that directory?

mike

mike

0 Kudos
alandsidel
Contributor
Contributor

I got it to work by clearing out more space on D:. Apparently the installer is ignoring the TEMP/TMP environment variables. Odd behavior for sure. Thanks for trying!

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

D:? Wow.. Do you have your "documents and settings" folders there?

mike

mike

0 Kudos