VMware Communities
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

How to install intel graphics driver on vmware workstation windows 7 64 bits?

I am running windows 7 64 bits on the guest machine, I cant install any intel graphics driver, I receive the errors:

This operating system is not supported and This system does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

I have managed to install this driver in the past, I had several games installed and running fast and in device manager > displays showed Intel HD Graphics together with VMware driver from vmware tools and now it only shows VMware driver.

How can I make it work again ? I have looked all over the internet and found many solutions, no solution worked.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> and now it only shows VMware driver.

That is what it should display.
A VM has a VMware Video-card - so it needs VMware-drivers.
Dont try to install Intel,Nvidia or AMD-drivers - they are not appropriate.

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install Intel HD Graphics on the same machine before to play games and use video game emulators, but one day I opened the VMware Workstation and could not start the machine, I had to remove and install everything over again but when attempting to install the graphics driver I have installed before to make my video game emulators work fast I failed, and I do not remember exactly how I managed to do it before.

I am hoping I can do it again and write it down the solution on my paper notebook so I wont forget it.

I had the vmware driver for the video that does not work to use the emulators and I had the Intel HD graphics that worked perfectly to play every game I was not able to play without the intel driver.

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

I have failed to install the exact driver for my exact computer model from HP website and I still get the same error, What the hell is going on ? I still do not see Intel HD Graphics under Device manager > Display Adapters.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Workstation does not support (and has never supported) passthrough of the host's graphics adapter to the guest.  The guest will always see a VMware SVGA adapter and will never see an Intel, Nvidia or AMD graphics adapter.

It might be possible to fool the guest OS into showing the host's adapter name in Device Manager, but it will never be able to actually use the host's graphics drivers, because the guest OS simply cannot see the host's hardware at all.  I strongly suggest that your recollection of using Intel graphics drivers in the guest is mistaken... Perhaps you were seeing the Intel HD Audio controller or the Intel network controller, both of which we can emulate and will appear in Device Manager.

You should ensure that you've installed VMware Tools inside the guest OS, and that will provide the best graphics performance available through the VMware SVGA adapter.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I do not have a screenshot to prove, I was having 60 fps on playstation two emulator and now have 20, I am sure I did it before.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Just in case you did not realize, dariusd‌ is a VMware engineer who works on the inside parts of VMware desktop products.

If he says it is technically not possible.. then maybe he is correct Smiley Wink ?

For VMware products you need vSphere in order to pass-through a graphics adapter, Workstation isn't doing that (and never has)

For the record, please read this Frequently Asked Questions about VMware Fusion and in particular the paragraphs about Virtual Hardware.

Yes that's about VMware Fusion and yes it is a bit dated, but it uses the same engine and the explanation just happens to be very clear and that part is still relevant.

PS: VMware Workstation Tech Preview has DirectX 10.x support, but you have specific hardware needs (see the What’s New in Workstation Technology Preview 2015) and as it is a beta it is not recommended for production.

If it is still interesting, then have a look here: VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2015

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

If I can get it to work again I will show you, for now I will leave it on hang and try v Sphere.

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

I have intel virtualization technology enabled

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

It had something to do with adding some lines in the vmx file.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are no lines you can add to the vmx file to get the host's video card to be accessible to the guest using VMware Workstation.

If you are running VMware ESXi directly on a host with VT-d enabled, and you enable PCI Passthrough of the video card, there is a chance you can get the host's video card to be usable directly by the guest... but certainly not with Workstation.  Workstation simply has no facility to allow "sharing" of a physical graphics adapter between the host and the guest.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much Darius, I must be mistaken then, I will try vmware ESXi.

0 Kudos
pxoto
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately darius, I am using linux and vSphere is not avaliable for linux.

I am mindfucked right now because I have clear memories of successfully installing Intel HD Graphics on a virtual machine, it could have been virtualbox or something.

I will keep looking for a solution because I believe I did it before.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
Claudiosi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello pxoto

You find the solution ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please read the complete post again - there is NO solution.

0 Kudos
_Manish
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find any solution for this? Even I was able to install intel driver before, but can't remember how I did it.

0 Kudos
Rasthro
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this once but i got a bsod so i think vmware had made it impossible to install thrid party graphics drivers on VMware vms

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Rasthro
Contributor
Contributor

I know,But ever since i upgraded to VMware workstation 16,My games lag very badly on VMware SVGA 3D

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Installing drivers in a VMware virtual machine .....
Its just a matter of preferences ...

Installing drivers inside a VMInstalling drivers inside a VM

Disclaimer: no Canadian was hurt while riding their car in Southpark.

Ulli

0 Kudos