VMware Communities
AlexeE
Contributor
Contributor

How to install dell oem windows XP or Vista on original Dell hardware?

Hi,

I know this is a common question. I have read few posts regarding this issue.

I have a dell precision m6400 laptop that shipped with xpPro alread installed and install media for XP and VISTA.

first thing I did is reformat the drive and install open Suse 11.1 no dual boot only one OS.

Then installed vmWorkstation and now trying to activate windows XP vm.

I have tried to enable SMBIOS.reflecthost but it doesn't seem to work since Dell uses strings embedded in the BIOS code.

I understand that the dell oem version of windows is intended for only Dell hardware and vmWare "hardware" is different so my codes wont work.

Is there a way to "recreate" the same hardware environment inside my vm so that my code can activate windows xp?

I paid for this windows XP oem and I am running it on on the same Dell hardware it shipped with so I feel everyting is legal on my end.

Anybody solved this problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It would seem that you should created a VM using the converter prior to wiping out your install. I always recommend replacing the factory hard drive with a new one to preserver the original installation. Hard drives are relatively cheap now.

Short of running a crack on the installation (not recommended), it would seem that you need to restore the original HD.

I think I would purchase/borrow a new hard drive, put it in the machine, install XP, update it, activate it, and then convert it to a VM (onto an external drive). Then copy it over to your openSUSE drive. Repeat for Vista if you are so inclined.

Perhaps someone else has encountered and solved your problem in a better way.

Lou

0 Kudos
Kotofeich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My Dell hardware is pretty old, so I do not know if things are different in how they supply the OEM Windows installs now.

With my old(er) workstation, when installing XP (still SP1 so it is old) on VMWare I was simply prompted to enter the installation key. Then there was the problem of activation, but I simply called MS and they let me activate...

0 Kudos