VMware Communities
Fiser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to install VMware Tools on Ubuntu 9.10 guest?

Hello!

I have VMware 6.5.3 for Windows. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit and I don't know how to install tools inside Linux guest. In Windows guest that is a snap, but here look like more complicated. Can someone help me with step by step tutorial how to install this on Ubuntu 9.10? I'm newbie here.

When I click button to install tools I just get open File Browser with file .txt, rpm and gz file. Any file I click I cannot run installer. Please for help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Student_Driver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a bit more complicated because every OS has a kernel (everything revolves around that), and in Linux you can have varying kernel versions. So, the shell script (files that end in .sh) will compile all the binaries against what you have. I believe that version of Ubuntu has the kernel headers with it, so what you would do is:

1. Go to places, downloads (the top menu bar on the desktop)

2. Find your gz file, right click and select extract here (I normally do this from the command line using tar -zxvf, but this should work too)

3. Open that directory, right click on the vmware-install.sh file, and select "execute as program" (this way you can kick it off)

4. Open a terminal (command prompt), and cd to that directory (should be cd Downloads/vmware-tools-distrib)

5. Type sudo ./vmware-install.sh

6. Enter your password when prompted, then go with the defaults and you should be set. Make sure to run the config script (it will ask you if you want to, and you do, but if you mess that part up you can run it later so no biggie) and then log off and log back in. You shouldn't need to reboot, and everything should work immediately.

During boot you might see any ERROR. That's likely from the HGFS mount that isn't working due to no shared directories. Don't worry about it for now. If it bugs you, you can comment it out in /etc/fstab (but DON'T mess with that until you're a little bit better). Snapshots are your friend, so use that as your fallback as you repeatedly trash your Linux VM, because it will happen.

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM

MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
snowder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I'm not completely shure about ubuntu, but the standart way would be to open the .gz or .tgz file, then extract all the content to a subdirectory of your choice. Further on you have to run the installer inside that directory (command: sh ./nameofyourinstallfile) <<< this should be done as superuser.

If you get compileerros its commonly a not install c++-dev package.

Hope this helps..

German:

Ich bin mir nicht ganz sicher, aber der Standartweg wäre die .gz oder .tgz in ein Verzeichnis deiner wahl zu entpacken. Danach wechselst du in dieses Verzeichnis und startes den Install mit Hilfe des Befehls sh ./namederinstallationsdatei. (Befehl als root eingeben)

Bei compilierprobleme ist die häufigste Ursache ein fehlendes Entwicklungpacket. z.b. c++ entwicklung oder Kernelentwicklung/Kernel-Quellen

Hope this helps..

0 Kudos
Student_Driver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a bit more complicated because every OS has a kernel (everything revolves around that), and in Linux you can have varying kernel versions. So, the shell script (files that end in .sh) will compile all the binaries against what you have. I believe that version of Ubuntu has the kernel headers with it, so what you would do is:

1. Go to places, downloads (the top menu bar on the desktop)

2. Find your gz file, right click and select extract here (I normally do this from the command line using tar -zxvf, but this should work too)

3. Open that directory, right click on the vmware-install.sh file, and select "execute as program" (this way you can kick it off)

4. Open a terminal (command prompt), and cd to that directory (should be cd Downloads/vmware-tools-distrib)

5. Type sudo ./vmware-install.sh

6. Enter your password when prompted, then go with the defaults and you should be set. Make sure to run the config script (it will ask you if you want to, and you do, but if you mess that part up you can run it later so no biggie) and then log off and log back in. You shouldn't need to reboot, and everything should work immediately.

During boot you might see any ERROR. That's likely from the HGFS mount that isn't working due to no shared directories. Don't worry about it for now. If it bugs you, you can comment it out in /etc/fstab (but DON'T mess with that until you're a little bit better). Snapshots are your friend, so use that as your fallback as you repeatedly trash your Linux VM, because it will happen.

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM

MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Read this:

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws65_ace25/ws_user/ws_newguest_tools_linux.html

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws65_ace25/ws_user/ws_newguest_tools_linux_2.html

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
Fiser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help guys. With StudentDriver procedure I installed tools. Now I see VM | Reinstall VMware Tools, but my sound card still doesn't work what I hope that will after installing the tools. I will also try some other Linux distribution.

0 Kudos