VMware Communities
RichGK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to install Server 2008 Core

Hello,

I am having problems installing Server 2008 Core on Workstation 7.

I've got two install ISO made from the two disks we have here but one of them installs all the way to the log on window and then fails to log on to the desktop and re-boots (this is an older 32bit Server 2008 disk) (should it even have a desktop if its installing core?).

The other (Server 2008 R2) pops open another window (that I've linked below) after it expands the installation files which has nothing in it. I believe that window should contain different versions of the OS to install (apart from the initial selection when creating the virtual machine)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2609994/vmware-core.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

maybe download the trial version from MS
that Multiversion Iso  installs 2008 R2 core without issues - you just have to use "I will install later" to get the choice

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try to install without "easy install"
Use "I will install later" when creatig the VM

0 Kudos
RichGK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I tried that but then got stuck as it was an ISO so couldn't select it to use for the boot anywhere. Am I mistaken and it can be used in this way?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ISOs are fine - no problem to install from it using "I will install later"

RichGK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I've managed to get the older R1 32bit version of Server Core installed using your methiod but I can't manage to get R2 64bit 2008 Core installed. This is for studying the 70-640 Microsoft exam so maybe I can work around things as I don't think the core installation is required that much.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

maybe download the trial version from MS
that Multiversion Iso  installs 2008 R2 core without issues - you just have to use "I will install later" to get the choice

0 Kudos