VMware Communities
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

How to have custom resolution in Linux guest consoles?

Hi,

I've always used VMware but had to move to VirtualBox because a strange problem in VMware Workstation 6.5 that none was able to help me fix it. I'm currently trying VMware Workstation 7 and it seems that old problem is gone and I'm using it succesfully.

However, there are some features in VirtualBox that I really liked and I can't seem to find a way to do the same thing in VMware. One of those was setting custom resolution. For instance, I could configure up to 4 (or 5, can't remember) custom resolutions in XML configuration file for the specific VM, like, 1280x705. Then, on the Linux guest, I was able to see that mode listed in the supported modes by the framebuffer. And I was able to easily use that mode.

But note, I don't want this custom resolution to be the max resolution, that one (and what I've set for max resolution in the VM settings) I want it to be 1280x800.

How can I do the same with VMware Workstation? Is it even possible?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

No ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

One last try... Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
Student_Driver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I guess I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, as I normally resize on the fly with VMtools installed. However, what I would consider doing is looking at the specific distribution in question, and creating an appropriate X config file so I can cycle through the available resolutions. Each distribution might have different ways of managing X so I would look further into the distribution for answers, and see how VMtools integrates.

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM

MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT
0 Kudos
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

I'm talking about the TTY consoles, there is not VMware Tools running that can resize the resolution and there is no X running. Just the plain old Linux console.

0 Kudos
Student_Driver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh... Never really thought about it as I just secure shell into those systems most of the time anyway. Interesting question though, might be worth checking out what VirtualBox does and see if it's worth figuring out for myself. I remember fiddling around with Gentoo and the FB using custom resolutions and a different background, but that was a long time ago.

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM

MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT
0 Kudos
Nazgulled
Contributor
Contributor

I think it goes something like this:

We have a virtual graphics card, both in VBox and VMware. These graphics cards support some combination of resolutions and depth colors but they are not truly variable (just like a regular graphics card). They are only variable if VMware tools are installed and running properly on X (talking about linux of course).

What VBox does is simply add a new resolution to the supported resolutions in that virtual graphics card and that's it. The system will recognize that custom resolution as another resolution supported by the graphics card and you can choose to use it just like any other resolution.

0 Kudos