VMware Communities
Anuj_IT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to free up space used by VM ware installations

Hi Virtualization Geeks,

I am new to using VM ware workstation.

I tried installing a couple of OS using VM ware.NOw i have removed those Virtual machines, but they are still using my Hard disk space ..

I see very less hard disk spac available to me...i installed 3 Operating systems, giving them 20,30,40 GB hard disk spaces...

Now even after removing those virtual machines, my Harddisk space isnt recovered.

PLease let me know how can i get my Hard disk space recovered...i want to get it recovered completely...

Kindly let me know the steps..Please

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on the host OS. Take a look at one of the existing virtual machines in the VMware Workstation GUI. You should see the path below the console window on the right.

André

PS: File extensions are: .vmx, .vmdk, ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

By default each virtual machines is created in a separate folder on your HDD. When you remove a virtual machine from VMware Workstation's GUI and do not select to delete the VM from the disk, it will only be removed from the library, but the VM's files remain on the HDD. If you want to get rid of these VM's, you can just delete the VM's folders including all its files.

André

Anuj_IT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What would be tor he path Like for these files...

what kind of files extention to search for ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on the host OS. Take a look at one of the existing virtual machines in the VMware Workstation GUI. You should see the path below the console window on the right.

André

PS: File extensions are: .vmx, .vmdk, ...

0 Kudos
Anuj_IT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre,

Got rid of the files...

0 Kudos