VMware Communities
fmiPrivate
Contributor
Contributor

How to find a MS SQL Server from the Virtual Machine ?

My Win 10 Computer is a workstation in a Windows domain. In this domain there also is a MS SQL Server. I have installed the MS Management Console and can connect to this SQL Server. No Problem.

Now I have installed VMware workstation 15.5 on this Win 10 Computer. And there I have installed a virtual machine (Win 10). The network adapter of this virtual machine is connected by NAT and uses the host's IP address. With my virtual machine I can ping the other hosts of the windows domain and the SQL Server too. But after installing the MS Management Console and searching for SQL servers there is no connection to my SQL Server (not found).

Where and how must I configure my system, so that the SQL Server can be found (Port 1433) by my programs and my management console?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@fmiPrivate 

This should help: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/15.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-E146C894-664C-47...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Because you are using NAT, the VM is in a different network subnet.

Your MS management console isn't going to find MSSQL server advertisements done in another subnet.

However you should be able to connect.
Have you tried to manually provide the MSSQL instance name and connect that way?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos