adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to create parallel snapshots

Hi,

I came across another post on here that had this image attached:

pastedImage_1.png

I have Workstation too, but for the life of me I can't figure out how one goes about getting parallel clones. Could someone please advise. (Also - Is this an easy way to have a base image / installation, and then have two virtually separate comptuers that use the base installation, thus saving disk space, etc)?

Thanks & regards

Adam.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can do this by creating a snapshot of the current state (I recommend with the VM powered off), then select the snapshot/state from where you want to create a fork and click the "Go To" button.

With this approach you cannot run multiple instances of the VM simultaneously because it's still one VM. In order to run multiple instances from a base image, use the linked clone option (VM -> Manage -> Clone).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can do this by creating a snapshot of the current state (I recommend with the VM powered off), then select the snapshot/state from where you want to create a fork and click the "Go To" button.

With this approach you cannot run multiple instances of the VM simultaneously because it's still one VM. In order to run multiple instances from a base image, use the linked clone option (VM -> Manage -> Clone).

André

0 Kudos
adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply André, and sorry for the delay in getting back.

This doesn't seem to work for me. If I choose 'Go To', it warns me with "By restoring this snapshot, the current state will be lost. Do you want to restore 'SNAPSHOT NAME'?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The current state refers to "You are here". If you go to a snapshot you will loose the changes of the "You are here" state, that's why I mentioned to create a new snapshot before you go to another one. If you just created a new snapshot of the current state, you can safely ignore the warning, since only the changes after creating the snapshot (e.g. if the VM is powered on) will be lost.

André

adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much - that has got it working for me!

Cheers

Adam

0 Kudos