VMware Communities
spedonce
Contributor
Contributor

How to create a snapshot

Hello to everyone,

first post here even so I'm been using VMware Workstation for a while.

I'm struggling to find informations on how to create a snapshot.

Of course I searched the topic but got no where.

VMware help (and some other web bloggers too) starts by giving instructions "Choose VM > Snapshot > Take Snapshot".

But where are these options, I can't see them.

Then I read some where else that snapshots may not be created if the host machine is on a physical drive so is that the reason why I don't see the option to create a snapshot?

And also in my opinion these informations should be grouped in one topic.

VMware Workstation 12.5.7 build-5813279.

Thanks in advance for help.

7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When you take a snapshot, you preserve the state of a virtual machine at a specific moment in time and the virtual machine continues to run. Taking a snapshot enables you to return to the same state repeatedly. You can take a snapshot while a virtual machine is powered on, powered off, or suspended.

About this task

Avoid taking snapshots when applications in the virtual machine are communicating with other computers, especially in production environments. For example, if you take a snapshot while the virtual machine is downloading a file from a server on the network, the virtual machine continues downloading the file after you take the snapshot. If you revert to the snapshot, communications between the virtual machine and the server are confused and the file transfer fails.

Note:

Workstation 4 virtual machines do not support multiple snapshots. You must upgrade the virtual machine to Workstation 7.x or later to take multiple snapshots.

Prerequisites

• class="p" id="GUID-85B0A264-58DB-49B3-9C6C-4E84068D8D17__d224t41"
  • class="p" id="GUID-85B0A264-58DB-49B3-9C6C-4E84068D8D17__d224t43"
  • Complete any suspend operations.
  • Verify that the virtual machine is not communicating with another computer.
  • For better performance, defragment the guest operating system drives.
  • class="p" id="GUID-85B0A264-58DB-49B3-9C6C-4E84068D8D17__d224t55"
  • class="p" id="GUID-85B0A264-58DB-49B3-9C6C-4E84068D8D17__d224t59"

Procedure

1. Select the virtual machine and select VM > Snapshot > Take Snapshot.
  2. Type a unique name for the snapshot.
  3. (Optional) : Type a description for the snapshot.

class="p" id="GUID-85B0A264-58DB-49B3-9C6C-4E84068D8D17__d224t104"

4. Click OK to take the snapshot.

Regards,

Randhir

spedonce
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry,

avoid bloating the tread with copy and paste instructions in the future unless you first spend time and read the tread.

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Choose VM > Snapshot > Take Snapshot

"Choose VM" here means "right-click the VM" or "select the VM, then click VM on the Menu".

0 Kudos
spedonce
Contributor
Contributor

"Choose VM" here means "right-click the VM" or "select the VM, then click VM on the Menu".

Where is this "VM"??

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Where is this "VM"??

I don't know "where" the disconnect between us is, regardless of any "pun".

You are the one asking to take a snapshot of a VM, right?  If yes, then you should know "where" this VM is.  If no, we may have a different case.

Or, are you implying that you don't see this VM in your Workstation (UI)?  If so, please use "Open" to make it show up.

Or, "what" is the disconnect between us?

0 Kudos
spedonce
Contributor
Contributor

I just realized that I created this post in the wrong forum as I'm using VMware Player also I can't find anywhere to alert a Mod so what we do now?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, This post was answered in Can VMware Workstation Player 12 create snapshots and how to do it?

In order to prevent any more confusion I'll close this one (something we normally don't do)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos