VMware Communities
cosmarchy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to create a sandbox

Hi,

How can I use workstation / player to create a sandbox? What I would like to do is create a OS in workstation but when it comes to using it in player, I always want it to start in the same state as it was created.

Is this possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How can I use workstation / player to create a sandbox? What I would like to do is create a OS in workstation but when it comes to using it in player, I always want it to start in the same state as it was created.

Is this possible?

</div>Yes it is possible. First build out your VM completely to the point that you want it to always be like and then shutdown, not suspend the VM and close Workstation and then make a copy of the VM as a backup.

Next load Workstation but do not start the VM and then select the virtual machine then choose VM &gt; Settings and then on the Hardware tab, select the drive and click Advanced and select Independent and then select Nonpersistent.

You can now run this VM in Player and all changes made are discarded when you power off the VM.

Also just so you know you can do this if you build out in Player by manually editing the VM's .vmx configuration file adding the appropriate line for the virtual hard drive type and node using the following as examples:

ide0:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"

or

scsi0:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"

JSYK The only difference between the backup you made and then the change to the virtual hard drive is a single line in the .vmx file as shown in the above examples. A temporary virtual hard drive is created and changes written to it when the VM is run with that setting in play and is discarded at power off.

This should give you what your are asking for. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can keep a copy of your VM VMDK file and overwrite it whenever you need to have your "good" state back. Since player does not offer the snapshot feature, you could do like this.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
cosmarchy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats a way I had never thought of, marcelo.

It is a shame it cannot be overwritten automatically but we can't have everything...and I am using the wrong product for the job, I suspect!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You're right. You can start trying to create some sort of scripting in order to have, in the end of the day, your disks back on the "good" state again...

As you said, wrong product. ESX Server, VMware Workstation and VMware Server could be a better choice for you.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

moving to Workstation forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]&rdquo;.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this possible?

</div>Yes it is possible. First build out your VM completely to the point that you want it to always be like and then shutdown, not suspend the VM and close Workstation and then make a copy of the VM as a backup.

Next load Workstation but do not start the VM and then select the virtual machine then choose VM &gt; Settings and then on the Hardware tab, select the drive and click Advanced and select Independent and then select Nonpersistent.

You can now run this VM in Player and all changes made are discarded when you power off the VM.

Also just so you know you can do this if you build out in Player by manually editing the VM's .vmx configuration file adding the appropriate line for the virtual hard drive type and node using the following as examples:

ide0:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"

or

scsi0:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"

JSYK The only difference between the backup you made and then the change to the virtual hard drive is a single line in the .vmx file as shown in the above examples. A temporary virtual hard drive is created and changes written to it when the VM is run with that setting in play and is discarded at power off.

This should give you what your are asking for. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can start trying to create some sort of scripting in order to have, in the end of the day, your disks back on the "good" state again...

</div>

No scripting is necessary and all that's needed to be done is make the disk "independent-nonpersistent" and as a VMware Certified Professional and Virtualization Tech Master (whatever that is) I would think you should know this! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is a shame it cannot be overwritten automatically but we can't have everything...

You can have what your asking for in your OP by following the information I provided in another reply in this thread.

and I am using the wrong product for the job, I suspect!!

If Workstation is what you have then you're using the right product to get what you want however you can do it in Player by itself, you just need to manually edit the .vmx configuration file. See my primary reply in this thread.

0 Kudos