VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How to create a network share across Windows 10 host / Windows Server 2003 guest?

I'm a bit confused about how to create a network share in Windows 10 that can be accessed by a Windows Server 2003 guest VM.

Can someone please enlighten me?

First of all: My wish has been heard: VMware Workstation's virtual network connections are no longer visible in Windows 10's network list. But, I'm afraid, this makes it hard for me now to gain access to their properties.

This is my current setup:

• Host: Laptop, Windows 10/64 1607 Anniversary, connected via WLAN, public network.
  • Guest: Windows Server 2003, connected via NAT.

I now want to create a share on my host which the guest OS is supposed to access. Using VMware Workstation's file sharing facility is no option at the moment as the guest's services don't seem to accept these kind of shares. So I want to use a standard Windows SMB share now.

Currently I don't have no clue on how to connect the guest OS to the host via one of the virtual networks and have the host's NETBIOS name and SMB shares become available to the guest.

Any help on this is appreciated.

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't reproduce this myself at the moment, but I think it should wor as follows:

• create the share on the host (e.g. with share permissions = Everyone:Full access)
  • enable the required file sharing firewall rules on the host
  • map the share to the VM, e.g. neu use * \\<host's vmnet8/NAT virtual IP address>\<sharename> /u:<hostname\<username> <password>

André

0 Kudos