VMware Communities
GnVm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to create a VM with UEFI and Secure boot?

Hi,

I tried to create a VM with UEFI by both ways; only selecting UEFI and UEFI with secure boot.

vm.png

In both ways, I face issue as below.. I am stuck at this step.

Win11.Ent-2022-09-28-10-35-03.png

Please let me know, what I need to do so that I can create a VM with UEFI.

With Regards

GnVm

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I assume that you clicked into the VM window and pressed a key when the VM prompted you to boot from the CD/DVD? (yes, its a stupid question, but you won't believe how many people fail to do that by waiting too long.)

What guest OS are you trying to install in the VM? (with version, please). I'm assuming it's some flavor of Windows by the prompt, but it's nice to be sure. 

Also, what version of Workstation are you using on what host operating system?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The 'boot' screen capture you have included appears to be an amalgamation of two stages of the boot/response process, however putting that to one side for the time being . . . just checking, are you sure that that VM page has been selected so that it can reponed to the 'press any key'.  It looks as though the timeout indication of six full stops has been exceeded, indicating that it did not respond to inputs from the keyboard.

0 Kudos
GnVm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using VMware Workstation 16 Pro 16.2.4 build-20089737. Guest OS is Windows 11.

TPM is required for Windows 11 installation. That’s why I selected UEFI (without Secure boot).

After creating and before turning on the VM, I did

1. Edit virtual machine settings > Options > Access Control > Encrypt.
  2. Hardware > CD/DVD > Use ISO image file
  3. Hardware > Add > Trusted Platform Module >

When I turned on the VM, the first screen I see,  press any key to boot from CD/DVD, then Time out EFI Network.

I didn't press any for for booting from CD/DVD.  After few second, I see Boot Manager.

Win11.Ent-2022-09-28-23-47-29.png

I couldn’t understand which option can start Windows 11 installation.

With Regards

GnVm

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

From what you're saying, I suspect that you are not performing the steps necessary to complete the CD/DVD boot.

The message you see "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" is a message from the ISO install media you've configured in the virtual CD/DVD drive. It means you've successfully completed the initial boot from the ISO. But It's also telling you that you have to hit any key to continue the boot from the CD/DVD drive - continuing the boot from the CD/DVD drive is what starts Windows Setup. To do that with a VM you have to click the mouse pointer within the VM's window and then press any keyboard key

You get this same message when you install copy of Windows on a physical machine from USB or DVD media.

If you do not press any key to continue, the CD/DVD boot process will time out and proceed to the next device configured for boot - which in your case is an attempt to boot from the network via PXE boot. Eventually if nothing is found on the network to boot from, the PXE boot process times out. (Time out EFI network message).

The screen you got dropped into shows the boot order, and because EFI network (PXE) booting failed, you get to see the UEFI shell in all of its geeky glory. Reset your virtual machine via the Workstation GUI and start over.

Which Windows 11 build are you using?

By the way, Windows 11  also requires UEFI Secure Boot, so make sure that option is checked in addition to the addition of the TPM device. Otherwise you are going to have to disable the check for Secure Boot in the installer and that's a pain.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos