VMware Communities
AlokBeheria
Contributor
Contributor

How to copy paste from win xp to vmware ?

HI,

I've installed VMWARE 6.0 desktop on winxp sp2. After that, I intsall fedora on vmware. Now, when I want to copy text from windows back to vmware terminal.

it shows nothing after pressing shift+insert. I also tried to install vmware tools, but failed to do so. Please suggest and Advise.

hare krishna

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Workstation forum.

In order to do any copy/paste between host and guest, the VMware Tools must be installed.

6.0 is quite old - you may want to update to the latest version, 6.5.1 at the moment.

0 Kudos
drnshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm... I have 6.5.1 installed and I have vmware tools installed and I can't do that (just tried). How do I know I have the tools installed? Because in the VM tab it states, "Reinstall VMware Tools" and if I run, "vmware toolbox" it comes up. VMware Tools for Linux v.7.8.4, build-126130.

0 Kudos
jschellhaass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is vmware-user running in the guest? If it isn't try starting it from a console window then try the cut-n-paste.

jeff

0 Kudos
drnshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, that did it - thanks! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
AlokBeheria
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to install vmware tools in winxp ? or Do I need to install it from vmware itself ? I also tried to install it from vmware console, after that I found an icon on my fedora desktop and double clicking it in order to install the tools, but really failed to do so. When i double clicking the package it continues to run on and on. Please Advise

hare krishna

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You install the VMware Tools in your guest, not your host.

Refer to the Workstation user manual for detailed step-by-step instructions on Installing VMware Tools in Linux Guests.

0 Kudos
AlokBeheria
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks RD, I managed to kik off the installation, but while installing vmware tools. it ask me to define gcc location, which I tried to find out and simply it does not exist. How to proceed furthur, please Advise.

hare krishna

Alok

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You need certain packages installed in your guest (from either your installation media, or the OS's package manager) in order to install the VMware Tools. You need the devel package (gcc, make, and other utils), and you need at least the kernel-headers package which EXACTLY matches your running kernel - version AND type.

0 Kudos
AlokBeheria
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot RD. Since I am fairly new to this era, I really don't know to install package from OS package manager. SInce I don'thave install.ation media, only ISO image, in tpackagehat case, I would really appriciate, if you let me know how can I intstall package from ISO image. it would be really nice, if you direct me any step by step doc for the same.

hare krishna

0 Kudos