Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to connect a usb hard drive to my virtual machine?

Hello!

I've just installed VMware Workstation (I was previously using Player) and I read that it has usb support. My Guest OS is Win XP Pro SP 2 and I'm trying to get the VM to recognize my usb hard drive when I plug it in. The host OS (Win XP Pro SP 2) has no trouble reading and writing to the drive, but when I plug in the drive and check under VM --> Removable Devices - > USB, it says empty. Any idea what the problem may be? All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

kim lim

Message was edited by:

kimlim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

the data traveller can run on either host of guest(that what i think) anyway to make it work plug the usb to your host when it detects it go to VM --> Removable Devices - > USB click on Removable disks it will give a message that you need to safely remove the device from the host do not click OK yet[/b] right click on the safely remove icon on your host and safely remove the usb from your host ...when this is done click the ok message in the guest it will start to pick up the Vmware usb drive install that (choose the automatic install option) when the driver is installed it will show the usb in the guest Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have Ubuntu 6.10 as host and WinXP as guest.

When I go to VM --> Removable Devices - > USB Devices it says Empty??

The USB thumb drive is showing in my Host Ubuntu.

If I eject the USB from the Host OS, it is still empty in the Guest.

?????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

but when I plug in the drive and check under VM --> Removable Devices - >

USB, it says empty.

Did you plug in the drive when the guest had focus?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I actually rebooted the box, fired up VM, start the Guest and plugged

in the USB drive. The host recognized the USB drive. The guest is

still empty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well in that case I suspect you have been bitten by the Suse bug.

Its not a bug actually, Its just that opensuse dropped /proc/bus/usb/

in favor of /dev/bus/usb

See this thread on Novell's bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=210899

There is allegations that /proc/bus/usb/ is insecure, but that Vmware refuses to change to the new standard.

In the end, it seems that the suse Kernel maintainer was brow beaten into providing a way to turn on the old method of usb support but it might not yet be in your kernel.

If your kernel is new enough, you can try as root:

mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb/

I am not exactly sure which kernel it re-appeared in, or if vmware has finally decided to support the new method now that a couple other distros have also followed Novell's lead on this item.

It took the community a month to force Novell to re-enable this, but in the end, it really is a Vmware issue because the old method is in fact insecure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

WS6, which is in Beta right now, has support for distros that use sysfs.

0 Kudos