VMware Communities
BobAgi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to connect Ubuntu 10 guest to Windows VPN (PPTP)?

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04.1 in a Workstation 7.1 guest machine and all is well so far. Installation went smoothlusing Easy Setup.

But I am going to use this as a development machine so I need to get the source control system on line and this means I have to attach the guest to the remote network via VPN. I am normally hooked up using Windows networking VPN to the remote network, but that is working on Windows....

The VPN system in use is standard Windows RRAS using PPTP (the server is a Windows 2003 server).

I have no previous knowledge of working with a Ubuntu/Linux guest as far as secure networking goes, but I am pretty sure I cannot share the VPN tunnel on my host machine to the guest by using Bridged networking. Is it possible using NAT or is there some other trick I can use to get on to the network via VPN?

Once I am there I should be able to use CVS to get the sources I need.

TIA

0 Kudos
2 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

You need to download a VPN client for Linux that works with your set up. I "think" there's a PPTP client, or perhaps even Ubuntu 10 has something built in that works.

Check this out:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-configure-ubuntu-fedora-linux-pptp-client.html

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
BobAgi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I think that helps.

I also found this:

http://www.cmsimike.com/blog/2008/11/16/connect-to-a-windows-vpn-pptp-from-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex/

Turns out that Ubuntu 10.04-2 has included the PPTP plug-in so it was just a matter of finding where one configures the connection and the fact that one must uncheck PHP and check the "Use point-to-point encryption" checkbox.

Then it worked to get me on the remote network.

Unfortunately the DNS does not pass through so I have to replace hostnames with IP addresses when connecting to the remote PC:s.

Any idea if one can set up the DNS to get info from the remote server when VPN is connected?

0 Kudos