VMware Communities
pwsteele
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure shared folders to work with svn?

I've got a Linux VM running on my Windows workstation with shared folders enabled. When I view the /mnt/hgfs files under the Linux client, the are shown as to be owned by root, not my Windows user id. That's not surprizing of course; my Linux account isn't tied into LDAP or anything so it would have no knowledge of my Windows user id. For the most part I don't have any problem accessing the file in the shared folder. Even though they are owned by root, most show up as having 777 permissions. I can delete existing files and create new files. The exception is if the shared folder happens to be an svn working directory. In this case, when I do an "svn update" I get the following error:

1. svn update

svn: Can't move '.svn/tmp/entries' to '.svn/entries': Permission denied

If I look at this file, I see this:

1. ll .svn

total 1

-r-xr-xr-x. 1 root root 276 Nov 8 11:31 entries

drwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 Oct 11 19:33 prop-base

drwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 Oct 11 19:33 props

drwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 Oct 11 19:33 text-base

drwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 Nov 18 17:11 tmp

I can issue an explicit mv command and move .svn/entries manually to some other location without any errors. Apparently svn is attempting something else than a simple move, but whatever it is, it fails.The same "svn update" on the Windows host works fine. It fails on the Linux VM whether I'm logged in as root or as my own user id.

So what do I need to do to get svn to work under a VM shared folder?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

use regular shared folders via Samba instead.

VMware shared folders have problems with things like you try

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

pwsteele
Contributor
Contributor

One reason I was attempting to use shared folders is because I find Samba very slow, at least when I mount a Samba share on a Windows box. I've never tried going the opposite direction--exporting a Windows share and mounting it on a Linux box. I suppose I could give that a try, although I suspect it will still give poor performance. I don't know how VM's shared folders compare in this area but I wanted to give it a try and see if it was any better.

0 Kudos