VMware Communities
ttorimoto
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure VMWare Workstation 6.x/6.5 to allow Guest OS access to Host OS's Internet/Network connection via NAT?

I've been struggling with this for the past 2 hours - and this isn't the first time I've been trying to get this to work.

How do I configure the Host and/or Guest using VMWare Workstation 6.x (I'm using 6.5) so that the Guest OS (I'm using SUSE Linux 10.1) can access the network and Internet connection that the Host (Windows XP Pro) has?

Previously - this worked via Bridged networking, but I want/need the Guest to share the IP of the Host so that the Guest (SUSE 10.1) can utilize a VPN connection by a VPN client running on the Host (Win XP Pro).

I have searched the knowledgebase, and Googled - but everything I have found has not helped (actually, most of them seem to want to run the VPN client on the Guest and share that with the Host, which seems to require Bridged networking).

It would be nice to find a straight list of settings that I need to change or validate.

ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK, making 1 assumption that your host OS doesnt require proxys, or any form of tunneler such as winproxy etc, eg it sends a message out onto its network which gets routed to the internet.

As long as you change the guests Network settings to NAT, and that your routers support double natting, if required, you should find it works. You should change it to NAT with the VM turned off, or, release the IP on the client, change it, and renew and collect a new one as it would be a different network.

0 Kudos