VMware Communities
ITMan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to change the display language to English?

Hi all,

I installed workstation 10.0.0 build-1295980, the display language is Chinese, how to change it to English?

thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you could try - I'm not sure about side-effects though - is to rename the Chinese resource (messages) sub-directory to make it unavailable. This should force VMware Workstation to fail back to English. The "zh_CN" sub-directory is located in the "messages" directory of the VMware Workstation installation folder. Renaming the sub-directory will make help unavailable from the GUI though. To make this available again, create a new sub-directory "zh_CN" and copy either the default (English) help directory - located directly under "VMware Workstation" - or the Chinese help directory - from the renamed sub-directory - to this new, empty "zh_CN" folder.

André

View solution in original post

11 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you need to change Workstation UI to English,

Go to your Windows Control Panel,

Click on "Regional and Language",

Change format to "English (United State)".

Then your Workstation will be displayed  in English.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

ITMan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any other way that specific to workstation only, because I need to keep my Format under Chinese?

0 Kudos
ITMan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

could anyone help with this?

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

AFAIK its still  not possible to do it without changing the machine lang.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you could try - I'm not sure about side-effects though - is to rename the Chinese resource (messages) sub-directory to make it unavailable. This should force VMware Workstation to fail back to English. The "zh_CN" sub-directory is located in the "messages" directory of the VMware Workstation installation folder. Renaming the sub-directory will make help unavailable from the GUI though. To make this available again, create a new sub-directory "zh_CN" and copy either the default (English) help directory - located directly under "VMware Workstation" - or the Chinese help directory - from the renamed sub-directory - to this new, empty "zh_CN" folder.

André

ITMan01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just renamed the zh_CN folder and it works. I think vmware should give us a option to make display language change though.

thank you!

0 Kudos
tuochenlyu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleting the locale folder works as well. The locale will reverse to English as default.

Don't forget to back up deleted files.

0 Kudos
AndyLi04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, tested it is working!

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There is a --locale option (those are two dashes) to the vmware.exe on Windows. So you can create a new shortcut with the option.

This results in a Simplified Chinese UI.
vmware.exe --locale=zh_CN

This results in a Japanese UI.
vmware.exe --locale=ja

I don't know what the correct option is for English/Latin but I suppose any incorrect value will fallback to English (just like deleting the folders) as currently there are zh_CN and ja subfolders in the messages folder.
vmware.exe --locale=windows-1252

0 Kudos
razakashif-123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"%~dp0VMware.Workstation.16.Pro.v16.2.2.19200509.exe" /S /QE

1. uninstall vmware 

2. go through administrative command prompt 

3. go to the installer path 

4. type "%~dp0VMware.Workstation.16.Pro.v16.2.2.19200509.exe" /S /QE

where /S is for silent install and no dialog will ask/prompt and will install on default option 

where /QE is language i.e QE for English, QR for Russian, .....and so on. 

This is how i did it. Any question i can be reached by razakashif.sap@gmail.com or through my whatapp +923214194150.

Hope it helps.....this is valid for even now i installed VM workstation 16.x as well. 

0 Kudos
sammy668
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

maybe your pc formats language
try open Control Panel - Region - Format ( English us) and then restart your pc 

0 Kudos