VMware Communities
babinlonston
Contributor
Contributor

How to bring Physical Ethernet Adapter and Wireless adapter inside virtual machines such as winxp and linux

Im Using windows 7 Professionl 64 Bit in My Lenovo Thinkpad E520 , Vmware workstation 8 installed in it using windows xp inside vmware as virtual macine , Now i need to Bring the Physical Wireless Network Adapter and ethernet into my windows xp vmware is it possible , if so how can i bring Physical wifi adapter into Xp virtual machine pls guide me friends

___Babin lonston___
0 Kudos
9 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is possible. You have to connect a external USB/SATA wireless adapter which have to boot in your windows xp vm.

Cheers, Yours Udin

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware always presents a Wired Network Adapter to the Guest.  This virtual wired ethernet adapter can either be bridged to a physical network adapter on the Host or use NAT in order to have network connectivity.  If you need to actually have a Physical Wired or WiFi Ethernet Adapter in the Guest OS then you'll need to provide your own in the form of a USB (Wired or WiFi) Network Adapter and connect the USB Device to the Virtual Machine once the Guest OS has booted to the Desktop.

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi babinlonston,

Welcome to the community.

I just want to add that vmware usually presents the wireless adapter of the host as a physical ethernet inside the guest. You might want to look into the virtual network editor and play around with the settings to see it yourself.

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

hbato wrote: I just want to add that vmware usually presents the wireless adapter of the host as a physical ethernet inside the guest.

That statement is not correct!  VMware only presents a Virtual Wired Ethernet Adapter to the Guest!   One can then choose to use the Virtual Network Editor to disable the default automatic bridging and bind VMnet0, as a default example, to a specific Physical Ethernet Adapter, Wired or WiFi.  However the Virtual Machine still only see and recognizes a Virtual Wired Ethernet Adapter regardless of what type of Physical Network Adapters exist or not on the Host.

If one needs/wants a Physical Network Adapter, Wired or WiFi, in the Guest then one must provide their own USB Ethernet Adapter (Wired or WiFi) and connect the USB Device to the Guest.

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think we have a bit of misunderstanding here. What I was trying to tell is that, he might look for a wireless adapter inside the VM.

Regards, Harold
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You might consider it a misunderstanding but frankly I don't because I take what people write verbatim.  What you wrote is wrong, period!  Sorry, howevere that's the facts and it is as I've already stated.

0 Kudos
babinlonston
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i want to bring my Wireless adapter inside vm xp its possible ? as one of friend told to use usb ethernet converter its good idea , but isit possible with my default one in my laptop ?

___Babin lonston___
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

nope - a buildin WLAN device can not be exposed to the guest as a wireless device.
To do that you need external USB-devices

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BABIN LONSTON wrote: Yes i want to bring my Wireless adapter inside vm xp its possible ? as one of friend told to use usb ethernet converter its good idea , but isit possible with my default one in my laptop ?

Not sure why you asked this again when I gave you a correct and proper answer in my reply Re: How to bring Physical Ethernet Adapter and Wireless adapter inside virtual machines such as winx... however I guess either you didn't read it or you could not comprehend it and when considering the rest of the discussion thread I'll assume the latter.

0 Kudos