VMware Communities
ulrich_kohfink
Contributor
Contributor

How to boot windows 10 uefi in vmware workstation 15.5?

I googled and a lot of People shows that if you switch to Bios boot the windows 10 iso will boot. But this isnt't the right solution. I searched for the solution that let me boot uefi with windows 10 in vmware workstation 15.5.

Maybe we have to add a entry in configuration file

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert

Windows 10 ISO should boot in UEFI mode. If you made the ISO yourself, make sure you included a UEFI boot image in it (how to do that depends on what software you use for creating the ISO file; with Microsoft's oscdimg.exe, you'd use something like -bootdata:2#p0,e,bimg\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bimg\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin).

0 Kudos
ulrich_kohfink
Contributor
Contributor

I used the original https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise Trial. And this ISO definitly boots on UEFI

So you try it yourself. Use Vwmare Workstation 15.5

Make a new virtual machine with the windows 10 Enterprise iso (64Bit)

Select uefi and try

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

<duplicate>

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

I've been using UEFI booting on VMWare Workstation for years (even before it was added as a GUI option). My own Windows 10 VMs have always been UEFI (as are Windows 8 and 7 VMs).

I downloaded 19042.631.201119-0144.20h2_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTENTERPRISEEVAL_OEMRET_x64FRE_en-gb.iso from the link above, and it boots fine in UEFI mode for me (on Workstation 16.1, but there shouldn't be any difference in Workstation 15).

0 Kudos