VMware Communities
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to apply vmware-tools patch to Linux guest 2.6.35/2.6.36

Hello, how can I accomplish that? I saw some patch around, then I don't know if they are for running VMware Workstation as host in Linux 2.6.35/2.6.36 and/or if they can be used to build vmware-tools modules on linux 2.6.35/2.6.36 guests.

How can I do to install and build those modules in vmware-tools Linux guest?

Thankx

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Which patch? Do you have a link?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh maybe I'm wrong. I'm just asking if do exist a module/kernel patch to compile vmware-tools modules running 2.6.35/2.6.36 linux kernel as host. It do exist such piece of software and if yes how can I build it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, and that is the reason becouse I do ask. I don't know which one is the right one, how it works, how it apply, it is not even clear if those patches are for linux guest or linux host. So I do ask here. If u can help me, please, u are welcome.

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

I am not aware of such a patch at this time, other than what we did for Open VM Tools. The patch I posted in the VMware Community is for host modules. For Ubuntu Maverick, we've gotten the Open VM tools working, so I'd suggest that you install them, e.g.,

$  dpkg -l | grep open-vm
ii  open-vm-dkms                          2010.06.16-268169-3ubuntu1                      Source for VMware guest systems driver (DKMS)
ii  open-vm-source                        2010.06.16-268169-3ubuntu1                      Source for VMware guest systems driver
ii  open-vm-toolbox                       2010.06.16-268169-3ubuntu1                      tools and components for VMware guest systems (GUI tools)
ii  open-vm-tools                         2010.06.16-268169-3ubuntu1                      tools and components for VMware guest systems (CLI tools)

That is compatible with VMware's direction to have the guest OS ship the guest tools.

Alternatively, try the new Open VM Tools release directly from that project, which indicates that it is updated for new kernels.

piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thankx Noel for your kind reply. There is something similar for Archlinux (my fav Linux distro too) then I was wondering if someone had a look to the problem and maybe patched vmware-tools against latest kernels so we can have something to use, for example, with another my fav Linux flav, Aptosid (ex Sidux). Is it something really impossible to do?

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

I was wondering if someone had \[maybe\] patched vmware-tools against latest kernels \[for my favorite distro\] so we can have something to use

If your favorite distro isn't including or keeping up with Open VM Tools, you can go to the link I provided, download the latest version, and build from source.

0 Kudos
0ryn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure how others have faired, but I found that using open-vm-tools my entire esxi server slows to a halt after a few days.Its as if the cpu is running very slowly on all the VM's. Simple processes seem to used 100% cpu when they should be using 2-5%.

This does not happen when using the official vmware-tools.

Right now I have a heavily patched vmware tools that works great in 2.6.35.7 but not on 2.6.36.

My VM's are:

Windows 7 pro (850Meg / ram)

Linux sunray server running 3 sunray terminals (1.5Gig / ram)

Linux router (512Meg / ram)

0 Kudos