VMware Communities
mypass604
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to access virtual machines after installing fresh windows?

Hi,

I was using windows xp & installed the virtual machines in D drive in a folder. My windows crashed & i reinstalled fresh windows. Now please guide me that how can i access my virtual machines ?Already i have again install vmware workstation 5.Is there need to again build my virtual machines or there is another way so the already insatalled VM will connect?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as you still have the virtual disk files (.vmdk) of the guest you'll be fine.

Open VMware Workstation and choose to open an existing machine. Browser to the folder where the guest is stored. Select the .vmx file and the guest should be back again.

If you only have the .vmdk left, create a new virtual machine (using the same SCSI adapter type) and when you're asked to add a disk choose to add an existing one. Browse to the .vmdk and add it. Done.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as you still have the virtual disk files (.vmdk) of the guest you'll be fine.

Open VMware Workstation and choose to open an existing machine. Browser to the folder where the guest is stored. Select the .vmx file and the guest should be back again.

If you only have the .vmdk left, create a new virtual machine (using the same SCSI adapter type) and when you're asked to add a disk choose to add an existing one. Browse to the .vmdk and add it. Done.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos