VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How to access internet when network is set to host-only mode

I am using workstation version 6.5.

I need to know if I change the network configuration from bridge to host-only then what will be the required settings in VM to access internet from VM?

If this is not possible using host-only then is there any alternative for the same?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Connect NAT instead of Host-only network. Your virtual machine should now be assigned a local IP address from the internal NAT dhcp server.

Using this network you can also connect to the Internet, and also your virtual machine will talk to the host machine on a private network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is from page 83 of the Workstation user guide: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/ws_pubs.html

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws65_manual.pdf

Host‐only – Host‐only networking provides a network connection between the

virtual machine and the host computer, using a virtual network adapter that is

visible to the host operating system. With host‐only networking, the virtual

machine can communicate only with the host and other virtual machines in the

host‐only network. Use this approach to set up an isolated virtual network.

So why do you want to change to a host only network if you want internet access in the VM? Host only is an isolated virtual network ...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

>So why do you want to change to a host only network if you want internet access in the VM? Host only is an isolated virtual network ...

Actually I am using D-link 502T ADSL router for accessing internet. So if I disconnect the router from my PC, my network gets down and then I am not able to access the VM which is present on my local hard disk. To maintain the connectivity between host and the guest machine I have to change the network from bridge to host-only.

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So why do you need to disconnect your PC from your router? I don't understand what you are trying to achieve?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Due to my internet provider problem my internet is disconnected frequently. Because of that my bridge network is also gets down. So to avoid this connectivity problem I set my VM on host-only mode. So my question was; is it possible to access internet using host-only mode?

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Connect NAT instead of Host-only network. Your virtual machine should now be assigned a local IP address from the internal NAT dhcp server.

Using this network you can also connect to the Internet, and also your virtual machine will talk to the host machine on a private network.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

i agree with puzzledtux as NAT mode will solve the purpose instead of Host-only and host-only is like a private network. still if you want that to work, you may end up configuring a router a proxy server etc on the host.....i doubt if you would like to do so... Smiley Wink

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos