VMware Communities
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to View 2 VM's Side by Side

I Just installed VMware Workstation 7 and installed Windows XP.  This is my first experience with Workstation 7.  What I want to accomplish is to run two virtual machines and have them both displayed on my monitor side by side so I can view both simultaniously.  My question is how can I do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware Player is included in the VMware Workstation installation. Check the Start menu.

As for the "in use" issue, please try to close the tab for the cloned VM in VMware Workstation to remove all the .lck files and folders from the cloned folder before starting it in another instance.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jokke
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Run several instances of either workstation or player.

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem I am having in viewing two VM's side by side is that I open up a new window and try to power on my VM clone I get a message that says that it is already in use, which in reality it is not in use.  The original VM from which it is cloned is powered up.  However a full clone is suppose to be completely independent from the VM from which it was cloned.  So I don't understand why I cannot run the cloned VM in the new window.  Can someone explain to me how to do this?

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I installed Workstation it said that it needed to uninstall the player before it could install.  So I no longer have the player installed.  I haven't tried to reinstall the player as I thought it might conflict with the workstation.

I also tried to run a second instant of workstation but when I tried to run the cloned VM (full clone) it would not power up because it said that it was already in use, which it was not.  So I am at a loss as to how to do this and need someone to help me resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware Player is included in the VMware Workstation installation. Check the Start menu.

As for the "in use" issue, please try to close the tab for the cloned VM in VMware Workstation to remove all the .lck files and folders from the cloned folder before starting it in another instance.

André

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, now it works.

Here's what I did:

Closed the tab for the cloned VM in the workstation.

Click File>New Window

Rign Clicked on Cloned VM in MyComputer tab in new window.

Select Open.

Then select power on from tool bar.

Presto! It works...

Thanks Andre for letting me know that I had to be sure the tab for the cloned VM in the orignal Workstation window was closed.

0 Kudos