VMware Communities
WStricker
Contributor
Contributor

How to Access Workstation 12 VM from Workstation 11

While preparing for a class, I downloaded a trial version of Workstation 12 while placing an internal request for Workstation 11 software.  I used Workstation 12 through the class, storing files and making other changes to an existing VM that was supplied to us.  Now that my trial version has expired, I only have the Workstation 11 software that I requested, and it cannot open my VM.  Are there changes I can make to the VM to render it loadable for Workstation 11?  (There is no question od upgrading at this time.)  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you recall the hardware version of the VM's that were used on Workstation 12? If the version is 12, then that will not work on Workstation 11.

See link: Virtual machine hardware versions (1003746) | VMware KB

Snip from link:

"Note: If a virtual machine is created on a VMware product that supports a given virtual hardware version and is then migrated to a VMware product that does not support this level of virtual hardware, it does not power on. Consult the chart above. Virtual machines created by VMware products and versions located higher up in the chart cannot be powered on by products lower on the chart."

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Assuming you still have Workstation 12 installed, you should downgrade the hardware version of the VM to that required for Workstation 11.

You can do this by selecting the VM in the library, then right click and from the context menu select "Manage" -> "Change Hardware Compatibility".

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
WStricker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all - I was able to acquire a permanently-licensed copy of Workstation 12 and I'm back in business - the VM loads.

0 Kudos