VMware Communities
jdege
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How tied is a Workstation license to the host?

I've been evaluating various VM products for desktop use, and I've decided that VMWare Workstation provides enough advantage over the free products to be worth the price.

My current desktop is Linux Ubuntu 11.10, running on the bare metal.  It's my intent to move, progressively, onto a Linux Mint 12.0 installation, running in a VM.  That is, for a few weeks or months, as I move applications and configurations, one at a time, I'll have both running.

Currently, I'm running on an evaluation license of Workstation 8.0, with the host installed on the Ubuntu, and the Mint in a guest.

Once I have moved everything into the Mint VM, I plan on replacing the host - doing a clean, bare-bones, Linux install on a new disk, and then installing the Workstation host on that.  Using it for little more than hosting VMs - including the Mint VM I'll be using as my primary desktop.

My problem is that I'm not likely to finish the switchover process before my evaluation license runs out.

So the question - am I going to have problems with the Workstation license, if I install it on a hard drive with an Ubuntu install, and then later install it on a different hard drive with a different Linux install.  I'm not worried about the legalities - there's only one physical computer, and it's only going to boot off of one drive at a time.  But I am worried that I might bump against problems with Workstation's own license validation.  I could easily see how it might decide that I'm trying to run it on two different machines.

Can I expect problems?  Or am I worrying about nothing?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO there will be no issues with this approach, neither legal nor technical. VMware Workstation does not require an activation, entering the license key is all it needs. As long as you ensure that the licensed version only runs on one system you should be fine.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO there will be no issues with this approach, neither legal nor technical. VMware Workstation does not require an activation, entering the license key is all it needs. As long as you ensure that the licensed version only runs on one system you should be fine.

André

0 Kudos
prince1121
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi jdege ,

Welcome to forum,

I am completely agree with a.p .

No need to worry in vmware workstation there is no option like microsoft after evalution period it will ask for product key .