VMware Communities
georgobb
Contributor
Contributor

How telnet from windows7 host to Linux guest

Hi,

i had a look at some discussions before i start this new thread here but i could not see a solution or answer to my problem. Google was not successful too.

i have windows 7 (64) with vm workstation 7.1. I did create a vm for centos (linux) from downloaded installation media. the vm works fine and can connect to internet so i think there is some network connectivity. The network of the vm is bridget. I have some tomcats on the vm for some web stuff and want to connect from my hosting Windows 7 to the vm for testing some functions.

i want to test the connectivity with telnet. The vm xinetd ist listening to port 23 (testet with nmap). No firewall is active on the vm. The telnet client on windows 7 is installed and works.

Connecting from windows7 to the vm doesnt work (brings some connection error but not connection refused). I can ping the vm from my windows7 host.

The vm cant ping the host (if this is a problem, i dont know).

I dont have a good understanding of networking but i think i need a bridged network cause nat doesnt give my vm a ip of its own.

i have no idea what i can do now. Can i do what i want at all with my configuration?

any help is welcome

regards

Georg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

bridged network should be fine.  I think the ping from the VM to the host will fail because of the windows 7 firewall blocking icmp echo.

are you attempting to connect by specifying the hostname of your vm or the IP address? try and connect via IP if you havent already.

Which other services are running on your VM? can you connect to any of those? web server etc?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
georgobb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help. I did add a firewall rule on windows7 so i can now ping from my linux guest to my windows host.

I try to check from the most basic stuff before i try the more complicated stuff.

I was thinking telnet is most basic and simple to test. I use it in my job too to test connections accross hosts and firewalls.

when i try this:

[root@georgobb ~]# ip addr show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:0c:29:bf:21:09 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.178.27/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global eth0

i think 192.168.178.27 is the up address of the guest system which i have to use for testing

this shows me that telnet should work (at least i think so).

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2011-08-30 19:42 CEST
Interesting ports on georgobb.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
Not shown: 1231 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
23/tcp   open  telnet

so i think telnet should work too

but all i get is:

C:\Users\georgobb>telnet 192.168.178.27

Connecting to 192.168.178.27...No connection could be estabished to the host on port 23 : Connection error

I have no idea what else i can use to test a connection from windows to my guest linux. ssh i dont have on w7

thanks for your help

Georg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For SSH and other protocols I usually use putty.exe from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

André

georgobb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the hint to use putty...

With putty i can connect via ssh so i can go on testing my web stuff.

One thing i dont understand is that when i login as root with putty i get an "ACCESS denied" and then i can go on... Strange...

login as: root
Access denied
root@192.168.178.27's password:
Last login: Wed Aug 31 09:46:16 2011 from georgobb-mobil.fritz.box
[root@georgobb ~]#

anyway this is my day now...

regards

Georg

0 Kudos