VMware Communities
METsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How "changing" Workstation to Player ?

Some years ago I installed the VMware Player. At that time I was told that I could have installed the Workstation instead which, after the trial period, could continued to be used for free with the limited functions of the Player. Recently I had to replace the hard-disk and installed therefore the Workstation for running the XP-Mode. Now the trial period has ended and the form asks to buy now... How can I continue to run the installed Workstation with the limited functionalities of the VMware Player? Or, is the previously obtained recommendation no longer valid?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe that Player should already be installed alongside Workstation.  You should be able to just stop using Workstation and use Player instead.  No need to uninstall/reinstall anything.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
blachnis1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You will need to remove the Workstation and install the free version of the Player. You cannot run the Workstation without a license as a Player.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
METsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sad to hear that the previously received recommendation is now apparently useless...

Does this mean to remove all, also the vCenter Converter Standalone and the Tools, or are they automatically removed when uninstalling the Workstation?

0 Kudos
blachnis1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter and Tools are not affected. You can leave them or update them to the latest ones.

0 Kudos
METsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, blachnis1, you may probably be right.

However, before I start with it I really would appreciate if a "professional" vmware member could chime in to confirm that the previously obtained recommendation is indeed no longer valid, and that it really requires to uninstall the Workstation and install the Player instead.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe that Player should already be installed alongside Workstation.  You should be able to just stop using Workstation and use Player instead.  No need to uninstall/reinstall anything.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
METsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Darius!

Yes, now I found the Player program in the directory of the Workstation; it's already there. Loading with it the exisitng VM and voilà. This means that the previously received recommendation was correct.

0 Kudos