VMware Communities
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

How many VMs can run on a single SSD?

Hi all,

Just a very quick question, I want to move away from my current setup because my VMs can be slow at times (particularly when shutting off) but more importantly, my hard drives sometimes crunch like crazy.

I'm going to invest in a good SSD drive (any recommendations would be very welcome!) and was wondering how many of the 5 VMs I have at the moment I could run simultaneously on it, without overloading it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

How many fishs can be captured with one net ?

one shark or thousand macerels ...

Well - this really depends on the size of your VMs , the amount of RAM you give them.
It also depends significantly on your host OS and Workstation version

If you want to run a high number of VMs at the same time I would suggest to use XP 64 or 2003 as the host and use Workstation 6.5.4

blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks, I have 8GB RAM on my host, and I allocate 1GB to each VM.

Each VM is no more than 20GB, so should fit just fine on a 128GB hard drive, if all goes to plan! 🙂

I'm also running VMWare Workstration 7 on Windows 7, so hopefully it won't run too poorly on my machine. I'm just wondering is there any reason in particular why the older OS, and older VMWare Workstation versions work better?

0 Kudos