VMware Communities
nurbles
Contributor
Contributor

How long does VMware Converter take?

I've use VMware converter a couple times in the past to convert running, physical machines into VMworkstation machines and while it took a while, I don't remember it taking over 16 hours like the one I'm running now that is only 80% complete.  I started it yesterday at 4:27pm and as on 8:03am today it has done 80%.  It is still running, because at 7:30am it was only at 79%.

So, if it hold steady at 30 minutes or so for each percentage point of completion, I've got 10 more hours to go!

Is that normal?  Or should I cancel, fix something somewhere and try again?  And if the answer is FIX, I need to know just what I need to fix!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you run version 5 and have not disabled SSL you may want to restart with disabled SSL.
How to do that can be found in a recent post

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well the short answer is, it takes what it takes! Smiley Wink

The problem is we do not know the size of the conversion or the destination, much less other relevant information that would be a part of the mathematical calculation, so there is not adequate information to begin to say how long your conversion should take beyond what you've already calculated.  Hence the short answer! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nurbles
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, we converted one machine on Wednesday with a 300GB drive and it took 5-6 hours.  The machine I was asking about is identical hardware, except it has a second 300BG drive (for a total of 530GB transferred to the image.)  The second machine took about 21 1/2 hours.  I did not expect twice the size to take four times as long to complete.

But it is all done and working great.  Thanks, and sorry to be a bother.

0 Kudos