VMware Communities
alviseferro
Contributor
Contributor

How i understand if i go back to a snapshot?

Hi to all,

i tried to find a similar post but i didn't find anything, so i hope you can help me in this simple question.

In my work i use a lot snapshots; often, i need to understand if i'm precisely on a snapshot point, but i cannot understand it from the snapshot manager. In fact the "you are here" indication doesn't give me an indication if that point is on that snapshot or later.

There's any way to understand it? I mean, to understand if i went back to the snapshot or if i'm in a later position?

Thanks for the help,

Alvise

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Whenever you go back to a previously taken snapshot, the VM is set to the point in time when this specific snapshot was created.

The "You are here" contains changes to that state.

André

0 Kudos
alviseferro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre',

thanks for the reply.

Ok, let's suppose that i'm working, i do a "go back" to the previous snapshot and i don't work for some months on this VM.

How can i understand if i'm precisely on that snapshot point? The "you are here" doesn't contain info regarding the last time accessing. Maybe i don't look in the right place?

Thanks again,

Alvise

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Agreed, from the Snapshot Manager you cannot see if the VM is in it's initial state, or whether someone has powered it on, and did some work on it.

However, if you want to make sure that you are in a clean state, simply revert to the snapshot again. This can be done by either "Revert to Snapshot", or by using the "Go To" button without saving the current ("You are here") state.

André

0 Kudos