VMware Communities
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

How i can estab.. communication btwn two VMs running on Two diff Hosts under Workstation 8.. W'd like to join domain (AD) for domain replication.

Hello Everyone,

Wishing Happy Year 2012 to all !!!

My Query is???

How i can estab.. communication btwn two VMs running on Two diff Hosts under Workstation 8.. W'd like to join domain (AD) for domain replication.

Actually, I need to do this due to not sufficient amount of RAM installed on my Laptop. Here is the details of my Two Hosts system connected with ADSL Router wi-fi enabled on that:

a)     Host Machine 1 (Laptop)

Processor : AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 2.0 Ghz

RAM : 4 GB 800 (MHZ each)               

Host Network Configured with (by Router's DHCP) IP Subnet: 192.168.1.0

IP :  192.168.1.2

Default gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS : 192.168.1.1

DHCP : 192.168.1.1

VM's Network configured on Workstation 8 with (by NAT) IP Subnet : 192.168.5.0

VM1 IP : 192.168.5.2

Default gateway : 192.168.5.1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b)     Host Machine 2 (Desktop)

Processor : Intel Core i5 with 2.53 Ghz

RAM : 4 GB 1333 MHZ

Host Network Configured with (by Router's DHCP) IP Subnet: 192.168.1.0

IP : 192.168.1.3

Default gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS : 192.168.1.1

DHCP : 192.168.1.1

VM's Network configured on Workstation 8 with (by NAT) IP Subnet : 192.168.5.0

VM2 IP : 192.168.5.3

Default gateway : 192.168.5.1

1 step; I know i.e..

Configure the same subnet ip on router/switch along with same subnets on VM's itself too, then configure both VMs <running inside different Workstation 8> as a Bridged network. So, everything'll be running smooth and simltaneous and there will be no problem towards replication with AD and all that etc..

But I don't want to change my Router's Management IP i.e: default gateway for all machines connected with Router for Internet/Lan Purposes.

Pl help me out in this; so that i can make establishment between two vm's running on different Host System inside Workstation 8.

Thanks in anticipation.

Warm Regards,

Rishi Sharma

Rishi Sharma | MCSA(Messaging), MCSE, RHCE, Virtualization
0 Kudos
15 Replies
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem to you (posted today) and I am using DHCP for my VMs as well, with neet work bridging. Ordinarily I would suggest adding a second NIC to each VM configure it for the subnet you want and add an entry is each VM's HOST file for the other VMs on your network. I suspect there is a problem with Workstation  that is absent from esx, (I hope I am wrong).

rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I then'll try and let you know, "How's thing work"?

Hopefully your this suggestion'll work....

Well, Anyways

Thanks for the revert in timely manner..

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

I worked on this problem by bring a third PC into the equation the reason being I wanted to have windows 7 professional on two and windows7 home edition on the third.

I installed xpsp3 on all these VMs had no problems communicating (all DHCP from the router). This meant that the problem lay in the Windows 2008R2 VMs. I looked again at the networking and redefined the AD network as a trusted network, and the problem was resolved. It seems that network discovery being enabled and trusted networks needing defining is the cause. AD is now working correctly.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings!!!,

It's good to hearing from u that u're trying hard to resolve and find the answer towards the query raised....

Man, I'm not concern about the O.S what we run, I'm talking here about making an communication establishment among VMs running inside two different Physical Hosts...under VMware Workstation 8 bcs, it gives us access-to remote VMs and sharing VMs as well...but however after having all these features i'm still unable to communicate what basically i need with using NAT under both Workstation 8 running inside different Physical Host Machine.

There're tremendous aspects in new Workstation 8...

Well, i'm going to try Bridging alon g with second NIC installed in each VM of Physical Hosts instead of NAT to ensure ping with the subnet which i want in real....

Hope it'll work for me!

Well, Sorry that i couldn't do bridging however i recd. ur email two days earlier due to not sufficient time in my hand...

But, now i'm going to try-it-out....

Let's see what comes???

Have a Good Luck!

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

If I understand your problem, you want to use NAT to communicate? Both workstations would use the gateway as they would have no knowledge of the NAT'ed subnet of the other, you would need to use persistent routes in that case to prevent the search going to the internet router. You should use the Bridged Network for simplicity.

0 Kudos
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

The second NIC which i'm using inside each VM along with my subnet i.e 192.168.5.0 and it's gateway is 192.168.5.1 for every VMs running inside Workstation 8 on Two Physical Hosts...

So, my query is: "Which network type should i use for the second NIC installed under each VMs"?

Options are: Bridged OR NAT

and u talked earlier about adding Host entries inside VM1 of another VM and vice-versa...

for the communication takes place for my isolated VMs environment.

Pl explore and reply me with immediate effects...

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If you use NAT the VM will have no knowledge of where to  go to contact the other network ie you have a PC with an address of 192.168.1.2/24 gateway of 192.168.1.1 a VM with a NAT address could be 192.168.34.3 to contact another VM which has also recieved a NAT address say 192.168.49.63 on HOST 192.168.1.3/24 both VMs would use the D/F gateway assuming the router would know where to go to find the other address range. The router cannot route the query as the address range 192.168.x.x is not routable further more the traget is not external it exists internally.

If you use the Bridge with DHCP all hosts and VMs assigned an IP address from the DHCP/router/gateway can "talk to one another". What you need to do is use this method with a single NIC in the VM, promote your VM to a DC and convert the assigned IP in a fixed IP (use ipconfig /all in cmd) For DNS resolution ensure that the DC has its own IP as the primary DNS entry and the DF gateway as the second (192.168.1.1) when you wish to join a VM to the domain leave the VM with the DHCP address it recieved but manually enter the DC ip address as the primary DNS target and the gateway as the second DNS target and also add the domain address (ie mydomain.local) as the appended domain address for DNS queries.  What will happen now is if you go to your domain member open a web browser and google search the VM will go to the DC first with the querey, which will fail (unless forwarding is configured) it will then go to the gateway and hey presto the search will go to google. Another search from the same VM for another VM in the domain will go to the DC first and if you have added the name to the DNS entry the DC will find the entry and provide the name resolution.

See attached file

0 Kudos
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

Dude,

U mean i'll have to use the IP addresses ranges configured on Router i.e..(192.168.1.4 - 192.168.1.254); because

192.168.1.1 : ADSL Router IP - Gateway;

192.168.1.2 : XP Physical Host (directly connected with ADSL Router with LAN interface) - Reserved Address on Router with MAC binding

192.168.1.3 : Win7 Physical Host (connected through ADSL Router with Wi-Fi) - Reserved Address on Router with MAC binding

Means, I cannot use my own customized subnet addresses which i want to use for learning purposes only. Actually, I'm using Train Signal training videos for my self-paced learning. So, I wanted to use the same ip addresses by the same subnet which has been used by the Train Signal's VMware VSphere 4 and Windows Server 2008 AD training videos for the easeness in understanding and learning the trainings..

But, In ur earlier post u've mentioned and also suggested me to use second NIC along with first NIC in each VMs inside Workstation so that i can use the both subnets via the Router's Gateway with Bridged Network configured in every Virtual Machine.

So, to get the real-time understanding of this discussion I requested to pl let me know either ur Facebook, Gtalk, Skype (Instant Messaging or IM) id...etc..; so that i can communicate and discuss with you in realtime inplace of emails and emails go on.....

Pl consider my request on priority base as i'm quite worried about my Learning...

So, pl help me out man and don't worry about your Points believe me that i'll give u and this technical discussion and taking & giving points inside communities will cont...till we reached vExpert Promotion Level by VMware Team itself.

I'm very much thankful to you the way you assist and guide me technically...

Thanks once again dude for overall support by you during the healthy conversation/discussion.....

Warm Regards,

Rishi Sharma

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

I see what you are trying to do, but you are trying to achieve a training network configuration similar to that the instructor is using, but his network has dedicated hardware to host esx and a separate network to work with. Workstation is good but it has its limitations, you cannot achieve what you want this way, it is really a matter of compromise the basics are available but not full blown HA

You could try installing esx directly on to a PC and maging it from a VC server hosted in workstation,  This does work I had done it many times on HP Pavillion PCs Intel Core Processor and 8Gb RAM, two of these and you can use Vmotion. Lastly there is registry hack that allows VC to be installed on Windows 7 directly then you won't need workstation.

0 Kudos
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

But Peter, U said earlier that i can achieve and use my own customized subnet the way i want only with installing second NIC inside each VMs using by Bridged Networking....

So, Pl simplify it using this procedure if possible because I've only 4 GB RAM on my both Physical Hosts. So, by this way i can not substantially work with esx directly on my Physical Host itself.

Pl let me know once again...  Otherwise, I'll have to compromise in some other way.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Have a good day!

0 Kudos
peterdcross
Contributor
Contributor

PLease produce a diagram of what you are trying to achieve.

0 Kudos
rishisharma
Contributor
Contributor

Dear, there is nothing to produce like diagram. Go to my this Posts upper most page, where i've clearly mentioned that i've these following requirements and setup at my Home for learning Purposes....

There i'm explore all the details of my both Physical Machines and Workstations along with their VMs as well..

So, by this way u can easily understand and letting me know about how to achieve best from the same setup...Actually, I want my all Virtualized environment subnet network i.e.. 192.168.5.0 and the Gateway of the same is 192.168.5.1; thereafter i could assign the IP from 192.168.5.2 - 192.168.5.x

Here, I've mentioned all the possible details by which u can understand in much better way my requirement....

Actually, Due to its long discussion, 'I suffered a lot my Learning hands-on...

It is therefore requested if u really want to help me out inside the same then, pl let me know,

>>>How i can achieve my own customized subnet 192.168.5.0 inside Workstation and 192.168.1.0 with my Router because my both Physical Hosts (Laptop and Desktop) are connected via Router and Route is configured with subnet of 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.1 (the management ip of its Router and Gateway IP as well)....

Now, tell me bcs U earlier said me that i can achieve the same configuration with Bridged Network along with 2nd NIC installed inside each VMs, so that i can make a communication among these VMs as well as my Physical Hosts....

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You have 2 networks, a 192.168.1 and 192.168.5. While your internet router is in the 192.168.1 network and acts like a gateway you need one vm which works like a router between the 192.168.1 and 192.168.5 network. This router VM can and must use bridged networking and should have to virtual lan network adapters. One for the 192.168.1 and one for the 192.168.5. Default route on this router vm would be your 192.168.1 internet router. However there's one limitation. If your Internet router don't allow you to add a static route via the VM router you will have some trouble with internet requests while for the OS in the 192.168.1 network it's easy to add a static route.

If your physical internet router can't use a static route you could add a NAT interface to your router VM and a 2 bridged one to allow traffic from the 192.168.5 network routed behind the NAT interface but then you need port forwarding rules on the NAT interface to the 192.168.5 network. Not easy.

If the 192.168.5 network don't need to reach the internet you can use the router VM with 2 virtual network cards in bridged mode and configure the VM which should be in the 192.168.5 network to use the 192.168.5.x IP of the router VM as a gateway and you need a static route inside the 192.168.1 OS which has the network 192.168.5 as a target network with the other bridged network address of the router VM belonging to the 192.168.1 network.

Maybe this gives you some ideas and maybe someone else might have even a better idea how to solve this. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
SunilSaini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rishi

Just make it sure that can u ping both host from the concern VM and then make it sure that both host is reacable on both side. for sake of simplicity you can avaoid the ADSL router instead this you can use direct cable host to host.

Regards

0 Kudos
StephenN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I too have this problem. I came up with the idea of having a Microsoft TMG on both hosts (Host1 and Host2) so when my VMs send a query for example a DNS query it would hit the TMG on the Host2 where the TMG would check the destination (192.168.170.50) and route that to the TMG on Host1. That TMG would then check the origional source IP (192.168.170.10) and and origional Destination IP (192.168.170.50) and route accordingly.

I am in the middle of trying thisnd i can forsee some issues when TMG on host1 would then check the origional source IP (192.168.170.10) and and origional Destination IP (192.168.170.50) and route accordingly. I have a feeling i will need to use port mapping for this one.

Let me know your taughts.

Thanks,

Steve.

0 Kudos