VMware Communities
kailashkkd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How does i connect my physical machine and virual machine ?

Hi All,

I have installed windows 8 in my base machine and RHEL 7 and Windows 7 in VMware worksation .

i want to connect my base machine with the virtual machines.

what all the changes i need to do in network adapter?

which network adapter properties should i change ?

Plus

In my Vmware workstaiton i have installed windows 7 , in that the  i am unable to find my network adpater.

It shows only one network adadpter named as bluetooth network adpater..

Please help me out on this : )

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the first pic, it's about the network adapter configuration for a VM.

For the second one, it's about the virtual switch type on Workstation.

A VM's adaper can be connected to a virtual switch(NAT/Host-only) of Workstation.

For more details, I found an page for you, it may helps you to understand the networking in VMware Workstation better:

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-server-workstation-player-articles/unde...

Also the official help docs talks about this part.

Please kindly take a look.

VMware Workstation 11 Documentation Centerhttp://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-11/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.ws.using.doc%2FGUID-0CE1AE01-7E7...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi kailashkkd,

Thank you for using VMware Workstation!

Please make sure that you have a virtual network adapter in your virtual machine,

1. choose the virtual machine in the library tab, then click VM -> Settings, you will see the VM setting page like below.

NIC.png

2. Please make sure that there is a "Network Adapter" device and the checkbox of "Connect at power on" is checked.

For more information about networking configuration, please kindly see VMware Workstation 11 Documentation Center

Thanks!

kailashkkd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

i have already done that bro:)

see my scenario is like this ,

1. i have windows 8 in base machine and rhel 7 and windows 7 in vmware worksation.

2. i want to have connection between these machines.

3.i want to set a network for communication for these three machines.

i want to know which adapter needs to be changed so that is create a connection between them.

i have attached the screenshot , please find it and help me in that.

if possible to come online ,

skype (kailashdaskd@gmail.com) is am available anytime today and tomo till 9 P

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Workstation VMs have 3 kind of networking types: bridged, NAT and host-only.

By default, it's mapped as:

Bridged: VMnet0

NAT: VMnet8

Host-only: VMnet1

So I assume that change the VM network adapter to be Host-only or NAT mode will make the VMs communicate with each other.

Below is the VM setting dialog and Virtual network editer dialog, you can configure the networking settings there.

Hope it helps!

NIC.pngVNE.png

kailashkkd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

i those pictures ,

you have asked me select NAT , right ?

then y second screenshot is selected as Bridge connection ?

can you explain in detail abou the networking concept in vmware?                        

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the first pic, it's about the network adapter configuration for a VM.

For the second one, it's about the virtual switch type on Workstation.

A VM's adaper can be connected to a virtual switch(NAT/Host-only) of Workstation.

For more details, I found an page for you, it may helps you to understand the networking in VMware Workstation better:

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-server-workstation-player-articles/unde...

Also the official help docs talks about this part.

Please kindly take a look.

VMware Workstation 11 Documentation Centerhttp://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-11/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.ws.using.doc%2FGUID-0CE1AE01-7E7...

0 Kudos
kailashkkd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi xiyandu ,

I have attached the screenshot's of the ping status of  my base machine. and also the network adapter setting screenshot which shows that ethernet cable unpluged.

i have done everything as mentioned by you in the previous replys.

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Would you please capture the pic of the virtual network editor and the VM network setting dialog?

Like my update 3?

Re: How does i connect my physical machine and virual machine ?

You can open the virtual network editor via click edit -> Virtual Network Editor

Also the VM network setting dialog can be opened via VM -> Settings -> click "Network Adapter" list.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos