VMware Communities
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

How does Windows 10 detect the presence of VMware Workstation ?

Does anybody know where a Windows 10 update attempt will look for incompatible applications ?

Right now I am trying to update a Windows 10 and it complains about VMware Workstation.
But there is no version of Workstation installed. Once upon a time there was WS installed but apparently it was not uninstalled properly.

So the question is how does Windows 10 detect Workstation ?

I already cleaned up the registry manually but it looks like I overlooked at least one key or service ...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

WAG: Device driver?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Checked Workstation drivers and all of them have been removed.

Any other ideas ?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure if this is a wild goose chase. If I run the winget cli (kind of a misnomer) on a Windows VM, it lists over a thousand packages.. Some programs obviously install packages that have different names than the executable. Search for google and if finds such packages as "IAP desktop" and "CLOUD SDK". Even  though this is a VM, search on vmware finds Workstation Pro, workstation player and HORIZONCLIENT. I had no idea there were that many packages on the system. Alas, it does not offer to remove them but perhaps it would lead to a registry entry. I don't have a Windows system to try it on, I only run on Linux and Mac. 

That said, I did not find the executable on line, I downloaded the solution from github and built it with Visual Studio. Had to do some seemingly unnatural acts to do  so.

If you want to wander down that path, we should probably continue off line. I would think the VMware folks have recommendations for other ways to uninstall. 

Good luck. 

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you seen this (if you still have the problem):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

0 Kudos