VMware Communities
icsuhm
Contributor
Contributor

How do you get shared folders to stop being automatically disabled by default?

Hello, I am currently testing VMware Workstation to be used on a single computer (Windows 7 host) that will have MANY different users logging in (to the host box) with domain user-level profiles. All these users will be accessing the same VMware program, and the same virtual machine.

I installed VMware on the host computer on the administrator account and created a Windows 7 virtual machine. I gave both the VMware program and the Windows 7 virtual machine full permissions for "Everyone." I set up a shared folder between my host computer and the virtual machine by going to the virtual machine's VM menu > settings > option tab > shared folders > dot "always enabled", check off "map as a network drive in Windows guests" > click add and connect to a host drive. I also went to the VMware preferences > preferences > virtual machines > check off "enable all shared folders by default".

When I open the virtual machine, the shared folder works perfectly fine, as I would like it, in administrator mode. My problem is that when I log onto a user account for the first time and open VMware and run the same virtual machine, the virtual machine "always enabled" setting is still checked off, but the VMware preferences "enabled all shared folders by default" is no longer checked off. This causes the virtual machine to automatically disable the shared folder once it starts running. Is there an easy fix for this problem? It persists in both VMware Workstation 7.1.5 and 10. I have also done a lot of research online, and i have tried various fixes such as altering the .ini and .vmx files, but I have had zero luck. Any help or suggestions would be life changing. Thanks!

0 Replies