VMware Communities
SuperNinja_4965
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you convert a single file Virtual matchine into multiple files?

I have previously created a vm in a single file. however it has come to the point that i need it into multiple files. is there a way i can convert it into multiple files so it can be better stored etc...

Either way its no money (do i need to upgrade to do this)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm not exactly sure whether I understand your question correctly.

Is it about simply splitting a large/monolithic .vmdk file into multiple small .vmdk files? In this case you can use the vmware-vdiskmanager command line utility, which you can find in the VMware Workstation installation directory.

In case it's about logically splitting a virtual disk with multiple guest OS partitions into separate virtual disks (.vmdk files), you can use VMware's free Converter (Download Center for VMware Products) to do this.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm not exactly sure whether I understand your question correctly.

Is it about simply splitting a large/monolithic .vmdk file into multiple small .vmdk files? In this case you can use the vmware-vdiskmanager command line utility, which you can find in the VMware Workstation installation directory.

In case it's about logically splitting a virtual disk with multiple guest OS partitions into separate virtual disks (.vmdk files), you can use VMware's free Converter (Download Center for VMware Products) to do this.

André

0 Kudos
SuperNinja_4965
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes that is exactly what I want to do split a large .vmdk file into lots of smaller ones

what are the commands? And where is this place where I type them

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd suggest you run the command from the VM's folder.

Running the command without any options will display the usage as well as some samples.

Sample: Convert a virtual disk to the 2GB-Sparse format:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanager.exe" -r sourceDisk.vmdk -t 1 destinationDisk.vmdk

Please remember, that the command will actually create a copy of the virtual disk, i.e. consume additional disk space.

André

0 Kudos